Japan begins whaling after 30 years of peace

History is repeating itself as commercial whaling resumes in Japan. 

Although there has not been a commercial whale hunt since 1986, on July 1st, a fleet was sent out with the intent to kill. This change shocked citizens since Japan left the International Whaling Commission last year that does not allow the hunting of whales. This whaling ban was put in place to allow the whale population to recover and grow, according to environmental organization Greenpeace. However, even though the last hunt occurred over 30 years ago, Japan seems to be going back to its old ways.

Japan’s decision to begin whaling commercially again is an attempt to revive the whaling industry, which was once booming, but is now fading away. This has caused international disgust as well as an overwhelming feeling of disappointment by activists, political leaders and citizens alike. The slaughtering of whales is carried out by impaling them repeatedly until they bleed out in the water before being hoisted by crane onto the boat. The process of doing so is barbaric and inhumane, and could seriously damage whale populations, especially if other countries lead by example. 

Whaling will once again take place for these majestic creatures that have almost been brought to the point of extinction because of being hunted by humans. BBC News stated that Japan has argued that hunting and consuming whales is part of their culture. Many countries alike have different traditions than western culture that can seem violent in nature, even though it’s normal to those people. It is true that whales have been hunted by different communities for centuries, but that was out of necessity because of scarcity and limited availability of food. Whaling was once needed to provide an essential protein source, but it is no longer necessary. It is now being used in an attempt to try to revive a dying industry for the quest of big profit, even if the ultimate cost is the extinction of this species. 

The taste of whale flesh has been desired less and less, and many believe that this will not bring this industry back to life. An article posted by The Guardian stated a quote by Patrick Ramage, director of marine conservation at the International Fund for Animal Welfare; “The palates of the Japanese people have moved on.” Many are hoping that japanese people will also protest this barbaric practice and not support killing whales, by avoiding buying whale meat and other products. 

Ramage explains that the practice is not conventional or desired, and that it will eventually burn itself out. “What we are seeing is the beginning of the end of Japanese whaling.” There is hope that whaling will once again become obsolete, but the slaughtering that is occurring in the meantime is worrisome as well as potentially catastrophic for the whale population. Many activist groups have decided to take a step back, but the future for our oceans and those that live in it is uncertain.