Many celebrity activists are proven hypocritical

There are a large number of celebrities that are activists for climate change. Just to name a few: Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Ruffalo, Billie Eilish, Shawn Mendes, Jaden Smith, and the list goes on. Celebrities are making an impact not only on the climate crisis but are a strong influence on ordinary people who want to help with the environment as well. Leonardo DiCaprio and Billie Eilish have been in the spotlight as activists, but have been called hypocrites for their actions. 

Though these celebrities are thought to be making a positive difference for the environment, their actions speak louder than their words. The Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation was created to address climate issues and find environmental solutions to global warming. Though he has shown interest in environmental issues and has put tremendous amounts of money into helping the climate, DiCaprio was recently criticized for his use of private jets, since that is incredibly hypocritical to the stances he has made. Since being criticized, DiCaprio chose to fly commercial, according to Daily Mail. Though he made this change, he made it far too late. The celebrity also owns a yacht and four homes where he is known to fly on private jets or helicopters to and from. DiCaprio has put a lot of money towards his foundation, but he has been leaving a large carbon footprint despite being an activist for climate change and the environment. Many of his actions are honorable, but others make him incredibly hypocritical. 

Billie Eilish, a very well known young musician and environmental activist, has claimed that she aims to be the voice of her generation, according to Washington Examiner. She is influencing a large number of people, from Generation Z specifically, to make changes to help the climate crisis. Though it seems like she is making positive actions, Eilish has gotten a lot of backlash from her comments about how eating meat and wearing mink fur is wrong. According to a popular Youtube channel called Spill that reports on celebrity news, Eilish made comments on social media about how she is disgusted by people using mink fur and thinks everyone should go meat and dairy-free. People retaliated and called her a hypocrite because she is not completely innocent when it comes to wearing animal products. Eilish wears expensive clothing brands such as Fendi and Gucci which, though decreasing, still uses some animal products. Gucci is fur-free but still uses real leather, while Fendi continues to use fur in their products. Even if Eilish is not using the products made from animals, she is using brands that support them. Eilish promotes living greener by cutting out meat and dairy products, but that is easier for someone who has great wealth to say. Eilish may state that she is an activist for the environment, but she has been proven to have hypocritical actions. 

According to the Media Research Center, many celebrities claim to be climate change activists when they are not. There are many reasons for this one being that when a celebrity makes a statement about climate change they receive promotions from the media. Taking a stance on climate change also increases the popularity of celebrities and they get praised for it. Celebrities are put on a pedestal and by claiming they are activists, even when they are not, only increases their chances of being more well-liked by ordinary people. Celebrities can put large amounts of money towards helping the environment, but if they do not make changes in their own lives to help the climate crisis they are simply hypocrites. Since celebrities are always in the public’s view, they can make a huge impact on individuals. Not all celebrities are hypocrites when it comes to being activists for climate change, in this case, their speaking out can make average people want to help with the environment as well.