Gym dress codes are misogynistic and unnecessary

Fresno State is reviewing the gym dress code policy after a female student complaining about an incident that happened earlier this year when a staff member asked her to “cover up” while she was working out.  Leila Mori, a Fresno State student, was wearing high-waist yoga pants and a sports bra when a male employee requested that she covered herself up. She said only about 2 ½ inches of her skin were exposed.

After the incident was reported, Frank Lamas, Fresno State Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management, emailed Mori and apologized for what happened. Fresno State now is looking at revising the dress code policy. The specifics to this policy still look unclear. Frank Lamas could not be reached for comments about it. Mori said the discussion they had about the incident was positive.

She said, “he was very thoughtful and receptive.” Mori said Lamas, who has the gym under his authority, relayed students should not be “policed” on what they wear to the gym. Mori said he thought the issue with the policy was something that should be changed and looked at, so this incident does not happen again. Mori, and many others, believe the university’s gym policy is oppressive towards women, and a form of body shaming.

After the incident in August, Mori sent out an email to Derek A. Walters, Director of Fresno State’s Rec Sports Fitness Center. He defends the action taken against her, and he pointed her to the gym’s guidelines that was in the email he sent. The Gym’s current policy states that “a shirt covering the torso must be worn at all times at the Fitness Center.” Mori replied and said she was not the only student who noticed the double standard when enforcing the rules unequally with the male students.

In October, Mori had a meeting with Jamie Ponius-Hogan, Director of Title IX and Clery Compliance at Fresno State. Title IX is a federal law that ensures students, as well as employees in educational institutions, are treated equally and fairly. Mori filed a Title IX complaint against Fresno State.

Derek Walters was present at the meeting in October about the Title IX complaint. He apologized to Mori, and she then closed the case,“because changes to the policy were also likely…I didn’t feel the need to proceed,” she said.  Mori would like to see the policy change, so the gym staff cannot have control of what students can or cannot wear. She also has suggested a gym supervisor, who she spoke to in person before emailing Walters, to apologize as well. The incident is not an isolated one, since many students may feel frustrated by their gym dress codes, since going to the gym is a time to work out, not show off. 

Everyone should wear whatever makes them comfortable at the gym. Males can wear cutoffs that show off their body, and are often seen at gyms with muscle tank tops which showcase their arms and even their ribcage and sides. Women often are sexualized because of what they are wearing, and even someone being covered up or wearing what they want might still get attention, but they should be allowed to go into the gym regardless. Dress codes at the gyms should get looked at and possibly changed, because it is not right to allow men to wear whatever and show whatever but women are not allowed to. Dress codes have never been enforced to make others “comfortable,” they have been enforced to oppress women and limit them in what they can wear while working out.