Natural disasters impact all, but especially the young and broke

A raging wildfire in California, a hurricane in New York, or mass flooding in Texas: natural disasters are a fact of life. The loss of homes, family members, animals, personal possessions and much more are a part of these traumatic disasters. 

These disasters are very scary experiences that a lot of college students have to go through alone and away from family. College typically is the time you leave home and live on your own for the first time, which can be a hard transition for many on top of school and work. Going through a natural disaster as a college student can be physically, mentally and financially difficult. 

Natural disasters are hard to prepare for, making it difficult to plan for them. These events can affect students’ ability to apply or attend college. College is already a financial stress for many students but after a natural disaster there are even more things to worry about, including  financial aid. Fortunately enough there is help, according to an article by Affordable College Online, ”Students whose financial situations have changed after submitting the FAFSA because of a natural disaster may be able to work directly with their chosen school’s financial aid department to update their financial status and find other aid sources to help cover funds no longer available after the disaster.”

Many schools have disaster plans in place to help students prepare for a natural disaster and know what to do immediately after one occurs. Taking care of yourself isn’t always easy during and after a disaster occurs, leaving many students feeling overwhelmed and drained. Many students lose food, money and transportation during these events. 

According to a study conducted on the psychological impact from Hurricane Katrina by Rave Motor Safety, “University students displaced by the hurricane suffered more trauma exposure and greater subsequent distress, as well as higher-rates of PTSD and depression…The study emphasized that college students are more susceptible to developing psychological symptoms following a disaster due to the high academic and social demands of the environment and potential for disruption in their familiar support networks.” 

Students in college already face stresses from their workload, social life, grades, and more. Adding a natural disaster that is out of control on top of that can cause mental health issues and put students in even more tense situations. 

Sonoma State University’s students and faculty have been impacted by the Tubbs fire, Kincade fire and power outages within the last three years, causing the campus to evacuate and close, leaving students and facility in a panic. Sonoma State has created the NomaCares Center which is a great resource for anyone on campus.The resources that are available can help with financial aid, counseling, student health and to assist anyone with questions. Every college should have something in place to help it’s students and faculty to cope and recover from a natural disaster as it doesn’t only take a toll on their personal life but school life.

Coming back onto campus after a disaster occurs is difficult for faculty, professors and students. Students are left with the responsibility to catch up on missing work which can impact their grades if they are unable to catch up. Students and staff might lose food in power outages, leading to having to purchase more on a tight income. And of course, the aftermath of a fire, flood or hurricane can cause physical damage, but the mental strain as well. Sonoma State students are lucky to have resources on campus to manage their social and mental wellbeing after a natural disaster occurs to be able to stay on track with their education, and many schools will hopefully follow.