Halloween gets scared by double digit costume sizes

With Halloween coming to a close, costumes once filled the isles at stores for everyone-or so we think. Plus size costumes are not as stocked on shelves as some would prefer. The fashion industry is taking a hit; they have not been accommodating to the changing times American women are empowering. A study done by the International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology, and Education states “The average size of an American woman is now between 16 to 18.” Those sizes, however, are not reflected within the costumes provided at these stores. Halloween costumes are the leading purchases in the United States during the Halloween season, surpassing candy and decorations. With costumes being such a popular feature to Halloween, many would think costumes would accommodate to the size difference.

Plus-size clothing has always been an option for those who can’t fit into the tiny sizes offered in the stores, but Halloween is a different story. Costumes are either too scandalous in the chest area or way too covered and doesn’t give off a good look. There is no middle ground between the two. Yet, we see for the smaller size costumes a wide variety of options and endless amounts of costumes. There should be no difference just because the sizes reach double digits. There needs to be equal opportunity for everyone wanting to participate in dressing up for Halloween. Alexis Krase, a proprietor of a plus-size specialty boutique in New York, states, “If I want to be a black cat, I’ll pull out all the black stuff from my wardrobe and draw on whiskers. That’s because I can’t find an out-of-the-box costume that fits me.” No matter the size, no matter the built, women should be able to find a costume in a store that fits them and they feel comfortable in.

A mistake that occurs throughout the plus-size clothing line is the way they are designed. No one is the same built, and the plus-size costumes “have offered ill-fitting options that conceal the body, rather than draw attention to it,” states Sarah Barnes, a content marketing manager at Trendalytics. It is discouraging to go to a store and see not one size that would remotely fit you. Not having sizes in stores results in online shopping; however the online sites advertising “plus-size” can be a hit or miss for some. Plus-size clothing should extenuate curves and highlight these bodies, some of the costumes just cover them up or shows off way too much to make a woman feel uncomfortable. The middle ground needs to offer the sensual side for these women but still make them covered in areas they want to cover. Women need to be comfortable in what they are wearing. There are too many negative stigmas women face about waistlines; Halloween costumes should not have to be another worry.

Some stores may not have a plus-size section, which is rare since it is 2019, but online store always has more. Or do they. When looking up plus-size costumes on Party City’s website, 15 search results will come up. Targets plus-size Halloween costumes are strictly just online. However “the retailer doesn’t always provide a measurement chart of these items,” Jasmin Malik Chua notes in a Vox article. When searching for those plus-size costumes the most popular ones that appear are Mrs. Claus or a pirate. Whether these are easier for designers to make, there is no variety for plus-size women to enjoy the fun festive night. Tanita Abrahamson, a financial services worker in Chicago, states, “Why can’t I just be able to go in and try on a dress or a pair of pants, or find a pair of stockings?” There is an added expense for plus-size women when it comes time to start looking for a costume. Yet, the average size between American women is a 16 or 18, if this was reflected in the stores plus-size women wouldn’t have as much to worry about.

While Halloween has sparked controversy for plus-size women, this isn’t a one and done issue. Krase states, “Halloween is more difficult, because it’s kind of like an event that happens once within a year but all year long, plus size, women are still short choices.” Halloween may be the starting feature in turning around the plus-size industry. Designers need to accommodate the different structures of women, make every women feel comfortable and supported. Halloween is a fun night for many, make it a fun night for all and give these plus-size women the outlet they need to showcase their fashion.