‘Happiest Place on Earth’ becomes the most expensive place on earth

exc-5e4c9b8388b5487eccce8727
exc-5e4c9b8388b5487eccce8727

Disneyland, the world’s most visited and adored theme park in the world is raising their ticket prices by four to five percent. Somehow the company worth almost $200 billion is raising its prices again on an amusement park that already has overpriced food, drinks, and merchandise. Many people are not happy. 

When someone travels to Disneyland and takes a significant other or family they end up spending upwards of $3,000 or more before even getting through the gates. Although bringing your own breakfast, lunch, and dinner would be smart, many people want the full Disney experience. Even if you skip breakfast it still costs around $25 or more per meal depending on where you go. Even souvenirs cost $50 or more, and with multiple children, that adds up.

Single-day tickets have been raised from $154 to $159 for days that the park does not expect many visitors, while weekends and other demanding days have gone from $199 to $209. They raised their annual pass from $399 to $419 which gives you access whenever except for demand days and holidays. Premier Passes, which allows access any day, range from $1,949 to $2,199, a whopping 13% increase. Don’t worry though, parking is still $25 if you plan on not walking to the park from the Disneyland Resort, only $400+ a night. 

Disney has and always been one of, if not the most successful companies in the world, owning rights to Marvel, Star Wars, TV stations, their own movies, and much more. Is it ever going to be enough for Disney? Before the price jump, Disneyland reported an 8% revenue increase and a 2% attendance increase with their add on of Star Wars land; an impressive take on the companies first go of a Star Wars trilogy. They also plan on building a new Marvel land in California Adventure Park. 

Although people are not too happy about this price increase, Disney will still go about its daily life of making unimaginable money through its parks. On the bright side, a Los Angeles Times analysis reported on Disneys’ increased prices in 2017 that wait times for rides did, in fact, go down. Disney’s problem is not raising their price, it’s an overpopulated park where getting from point A to B involves bumping into sweaty people and sifting your way through crowds until you have to wait a couple of hours for a single ride, or get a fast pass and wait just under an hour. 

All in all, Disney is smart, they know how to run a business and they are not worried about a small percentage of attendance drop because it means people will be a little more happy with a shorter wait and a less populated park. This, in turn, will result in more money being spent on merchandise within its parks. If a vacationer is willing to spend the extra money on a trip to Disneyland, they will spend more money than usual if kept happy.

If someone wants to go to Disneyland, money should already be an afterthought, but if you are planning to go on a budget, good luck. No matter the price, Disneyland will still have record-breaking attendance year after year. They have an impressive staff, fantastic shows, thrilling rides, amazing food, and much more that will put a smile on just about anyone’s face. 

It’s the ideal destination for any child which is what matters in the long run. The looks on children’s faces as they walk down Main Street for the first time can make all parents forget the amount of money spent to get there. 

The happiest place on earth is still living up to its title. No matter the price of admission, disney will always be a prime vaction spot.