Obsession with “trendy” dogs leads to impacted shelters

exc-5e55dcdd8291701b1d558446
exc-5e55dcdd8291701b1d558446

For many college students, buying a puppy can be a rite of passage. Instagram feeds are often filled with photos of brand new pups of the most popular breeds including Corgis, French Bulldogs, Siberian Huskies, etc. But for many, the glory fades fast, leaving countless of the once-beloved pets in shelters or rescue groups. Reality sets in that companion animals are a serious long-term commitment and some of the dog breeds have specific needs that many people cannot meet.

The Siberian Husky is a prime example. Some animal rescuers argue that their popularity skyrocketed after the appearance of dire wolves in the popular series Game of Thrones. Others believe that social media “influencers” are in part to blame, as this photogenic and rugged dog breed often appears in “adventurous hiking nomad” type Instagram accounts.

Whatever the reason, these dogs have become extraordinarily popular, especially among young adults. Many do not realize that behind the beautiful ice blue eyes of the Husky, there is an animal with endless energy, bred to perform the rigorous task of pulling sleds for hundreds of miles- not to live hidden in a dorm. Huskies are notorious for becoming frustrated and destructive when their mental and physical needs are not met- digging under fences, howling incessantly and destroying furniture are just a few behavioral problems typical to the breed.

In 2018, Riverside Animal Services in Southern California reported that Huskies were by far their most commonly returned breed, at a whopping 13%. The same shelter reported that huskies made up over 7% of the shelter’s population in 2018, an astronomical jump from 1.7% in 2013. The search engine petfinder.com shows 90 huskies available for adoption in shelters and rescue groups as of February 2020 within 100 miles of Rohnert Park alone- and considering that not all shelters use this resource, the numbers are likely even higher. 

Some breeds have it even worse. The increasingly popular French Bulldog- affectionately called the “Frenchie”- is bred for its beloved “ugly cute” looks, not for genetic health. Though these high-end pups can cost thousands of dollars to purchase, they also face a plethora of health issues, including problems with eyes, skin, joints, and, most commonly, severe respiratory issues. A 2018 study conducted by the Royal Veterinary College in London showed that over 70% of French Bulldogs had at least one recorded health disorder. When students save up to buy these expensive puppies, many do not anticipate the thousands of dollars in medical costs likely to follow- often leaving them to be euthanized. 

While these popular breeds face elevated suffering at the hands of pop culture, the fact remains that all companion animals are a financially burdensome and time-consuming commitment. While animals can improve our quality of life, it is critical to remember that they have needs as much as we do. Before making a sporadic decision, college students must ask themselves whether they can afford sky-high emergency vet bills (and no, GoFundMe will not always come to the rescue), potentially increased rent prices when moving, and countless hours of dedication to a living, breathing creature who does not care if its finals week or if you get called into work last minute. Do dogs a favor, and do not adopt them unless you’re sure you can take care of them properly.