Kobe Bryant memorial service changes perspective

exc-5e5f0909a529995b94e137eb
exc-5e5f0909a529995b94e137eb

On Feb. 24, A celebration of life in honor of NBA legend Kobe Bryant and his daughter Gianna was hosted at the Staples Center. About 20,000 people attended, many being close friends of the Bryant family-like Beyonce, Spike Lee, Micheal Jordan, and former teammates. It was an emotion-filled night as people sang, cried, laughed, and celebrated the life  of one of the best basketball players to ever exist. 

The memorial service was held on Feb. 24, which is a symbol of the two amazing lives these victims once led. Gianna wore the number 2 for her youth basketball team, Kobe wearing number 24 for the second half of his glorious career, and the date 2020, which represents the number he spent playing with the lakers and the years he and his wife, Vanessa, had been married. Kobe’s wife, Vanessa, wanted to celebrate her loved one’s lives on this day because it made it more special. The date gives the memorial a stronger and more special feel.

Thousands of fans represented Bryant by wearing his jersey and chanting his name as they sat in the stands, heartbroken, staring at the rose decorated stage. Alicia Keys and Beyonce dedicated and performed songs for the crowd to celebrate his and his daughter’s lives. Jimmy Kimmel served as the master of ceremonies for the event, which made it feel more like a show than a memorial service. In order to get tickets to this event, fans had to register for a chance to purchase a ticket. Prices ranged from $24.02 to $224 per ticket. These ticket prices were also a symbol to Kobe’s and Gianna’s basketball numbers and all the proceeds were donated to the Mamba and Mambacita Sports Foundation. 

Basketball legend and Kobe’s childhood hero, Michael Jordan said at the memorial, “[Bryant] knows how to get to you in a way that affects you personally… even if he’s being a pain in the a**”. Bryant, for many years, gained the respect of his opponents and more importantly, his fans. He touched the lives of millions of people all around the world who idolized his shot by always yelling “Kobe” before they shot a ball of paper into a trash can. Kobe Bryant was just as special off the court, as he won an Oscar for his short film in 2018 and ran a foundation that helped kids get better at basketball. He was so much more than a basketball player, he was a great human being.

Kobe’s wife, Vanessa Bryant, spoke publicly for the first time since her husband’s and daughter’s death. She stayed poised throughout her speech noting how special her two loved ones were to her. She explained Kobe as her first boyfriend, her first love, her husband, best friend, her confidant, and protector. She then talked about her daughter Gianna, “She was always herself. Wearing a white T, black leggings, a denim jacket, white high-top Converse and a flannel tied around her waist, with straight hair, was her go-to style.” This hit her hard, along with the tens of thousands watching as it brought light to the victims. 

Former teammate Shaquille O’neal, Kobe’s former agent Rob Pelinka, and Women’s Oregon Basketball Player Sabrina Ionescu shared stories of what made Kobe a winner, a great friend, and a great human being. Kobe Bryant may be gone, but he will never be forgotten as he left one of the greatest legacies in sports.