The Invisible Man sheds light on domestic abuse

exc-5e68336b1e94eb74c199ffab
exc-5e68336b1e94eb74c199ffab

The Invisible Man debuted in theaters nationwide on Feb. 28 and received really good reviews for being a Blumhouse Productions film. Elisabeth Moss gave a riveting performance as a woman who had been abused by her millionaire boyfriend as she fought for rehabilitation.  

While The Invisible Man was somewhat a science fiction film, it still was able to tell a story of a woman who was severely abused by her partner while no one around her believed a word of it.

The movie was a little disproportionate due to the fact that when she escaped her abusive boyfriend, he faked his own death and stalked her with a suit of invisibility while setting out to ruin her life. It shined a spotlight on the fact that many domestic abuse cases are swept under the rug due to people not believing the victim. 

Moss played a woman who lost everything as she was forced to completely submit to her wealthy boyfriend and was even unable to leave her house. The man had ties with the police so he was able to get away with the abuse for years until she finally escaped, leaving her with major PTSD and anxiety. He then, as mentioned earlier, faked his own suicide so he could stalk her with a suit of invisibility. His goal was to ruin her life so she would eventually crawl back to him.

Writer and Director Leigh Whannell actually talked to many different abused women throughout the filming of the movie. In an interview with Elisabeth Moss, she said, “He fully recognized that there was a female perspective that needed to be listened to, and I could help in providing that,” Moss says. “That’s of course exactly what he should have done, but not every director creates that open space.”

The National Coalition Against Domestic Abuse reports that one in four women experience some form of domestic abuse throughout a relationship. Women between the age of 18 and 24 are most likely to be in a relationship that involves domestic abuse meaning that it most likely starts and happens during college. Each year approximately 960 thousand to over 3 million domestic violence cases go unreported, most reporting that they believed nothing could be done if they did report it. 

A report by the Healing Abuse Working for Change website says, typical college campuses have 70% of victims that do not even realize they are being abused let alone report it and more than half of them fear reporting it as the abuser may become more violent.

In the book, “The Invisible Man” written by Ralph Ellison, Moss’s character stated “I am invisible, understand, simply because people refuse to see me. Like the bodiless heads you see sometimes in circus sideshows, it is as though I have been surrounded by mirrors of hard, distorting glass. When they approach me they see only my surroundings, themselves or figments of their imagination, indeed, everything and anything except me.”

Domestic abuse has been and will be a problem for years to come, reporting it is as easy as calling the Domestic Abuse Hotline whether it is experienced or seen there is someone out there who is willing to listen and help. Call 1-800-799-7233 to report any domestic abuse.