Menstrual cups: the new norm

exc-5e68349df36fb42861166e70
exc-5e68349df36fb42861166e70

Many women are starting to use menstrual cups as a feminine hygiene product in replacement of pads or tampons. A menstrual cup is a small, flexible reusable cup made of rubber or silicone that can be inserted into the vagina to catch and collect period fluid. 

Colleges across the country–including our own nursing program here at Sonoma State– are advocating for the implementation of menstrual cups on campus. Providing menstrual cups to students initially costs schools more money than pads or tampons, but from a long-term perspective, they are a cheaper solution. By providing menstrual cups to students, Sonoma State could make a significant impact in allowing periods to become both affordable and sustainable. 

Women are choosing to use menstrual cups because of the many benefits. Most importantly, they are reusable and much more eco-friendly than other methods. Cups can also hold more blood than other methods and depending on “flow,” one could potentially wear a cup for up to 12 hours without risk. Paying for a reusable menstrual cup is a one-time price, unlike tampons or pads, which can cost upward of $200 a year. 

Menstrual cups are not only cost-efficient, sustainable for the environment, and more effective in collecting blood than other feminine hygiene methods, but they are also considered by gynecologists to be safer than pads or tampons. Rather than absorb blood, cups collect the blood and therefore prevent users from getting toxic shock syndrome (a bacterial infection associated with tampon use). If women choose the disposable cups, rather than the more eco-friendly reusable ones, they can keep them in during sex and reduce their worry about “leaks.” Their partner should not even be able to feel the cup, and if it is inserted correctly, women should not be able to feel it at all throughout the day or night. An article from Healthline claims that “You shouldn’t feel your menstrual cup if you’ve inserted the cup correctly. You should also be able to move, jump, sit, stand, and do other everyday activities without your cup falling out.”

While there are many benefits to using a menstrual cup, it is important to keep in mind that there still may be potential issues. Cup removal can be messy, and it can also be difficult for some to insert and remove the cup. Menstrual cups are not one-size-fits-all, so trying multiple brands to find the right size for each individual is recommended. Additionally, there is still a risk of infection, so it is essential that users frequently and thoroughly wash their cup. 

Nowadays, more and more people are switching to menstrual cups rather than tampons and pads. While the process can be confusing, daunting, and maybe even unsettling, the majority of women that have switched to cups argue that they greatly benefit the environment, one’s bank account, and are no more uncomfortable than other feminine hygiene