Mental health struggles increase amongst COVID-19

exc-5e7a903c864e9b0fbecb186e
exc-5e7a903c864e9b0fbecb186e

Recent lockdowns and shelter-in-place mandates in order to prevent the spread of the coronavirus epidemic are beneficial for numerous reasons, but it is important to consider how these preventative measures are impacting people’s mental health. 

An article posted by CBS News in February drew attention to the millions of Chinese citizens who are dealing with the emotional and psychological fallout from the epidemic, and the recent increase in mental health issues in China. According to the article, the epidemic left Chinese citizens feeling frustrated and frightened, pressuring the Chinese government to offer them assistance in dealing with mental health issues. In response, “Chinese state media reported this month that mental health services have been deployed across the country, and Li Keqiang, China’s premier, the No. 2 official after the president, demanded last week that further measures be taken to improve mental health offerings.”

Many college students in China are reporting anxiety about interrupted studies, explaining that they feel “helpless.” Some college students who are going to graduate this summer are worried about whether it will delay graduation and affect their job search, and others are concerned about more immediate consequences of the outbreak and its effect on their schoolwork and day-to-day lives. 

Now that the coronavirus is rapidly spreading in America and affecting U.S. citizens, Sonoma State Students and other university students across the country are dealing with the stress of their normal school requirements, while also dealing with anxiety and depression from shelter-in-place mandates and a global health crisis. A lot of students have never taken an online class, and transferring quickly to a different mode of learning can be confusing and quite stressful. Still maintaining school work amidst the coronavirus epidemic will be difficult for students, and will certainly affect the mental health of some, if not many. 

Mental health is an often overlooked issue, but now more than ever, it is extremely important that mental health services to deal with the anxiety and depression surrounding the coronavirus are offered. As the virus continues to evolve and affect Americans, hopefully, more psychological services will be offered to citizens. CAPS, the counseling service offered to Sonoma State students, will remain open remotely during the shelter-in-place mandate.

In the meantime, if you or a loved one is struggling with anxiety and depression related to the coronavirus epidemic, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website recommends that you maintain a healthy, daily routine. If you can, maintain your regular schedule for sleep, eating, having fun, socializing, studying, working, etc. Exercising during this time is extremely beneficial; it can boost your immune system, help you feel good about yourself, increase your energy levels, alleviate stress, and help with sleep. The CDC also recommends that you stay accurately informed. Uncertainty or misinformation can increase worry and cause panic, so stay informed through official, fact-checked channels. Limit your exposure to information as well, such as less than one hour a day, because too much information leads to overload and more stress. 

Lastly, keep in mind that there is still life outside of the current crisis. Reading news and engaging in activities unrelated to the current outbreak is okay and it doesn’t mean that you don’t care or aren’t concerned.

For more helpful tips on coping with mental health issues surrounding the coronavirus, visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website and click on the page titled “Manage Anxiety and Stress.” They list links with information about taking care of your mental health. Sonoma State students can also reach out to CAPS or the Health Center remotely for advice.