University commencement ceremonies to be postponed

exc-5e8397681abd4704583ae7a8
exc-5e8397681abd4704583ae7a8

Colleges across the United States are beginning to cancel or postpone graduation ceremonies due to fears that the coronavirus pandemic will last well into the spring. Some universities are considering virtual alternatives, while others are inviting seniors back for commencement at a later date or simply mailing students their diplomas. 

Sonoma State University has officially decided to postpone Spring 2020 Commencement and cultural celebrations, according to emails students have received and the Students FAQ page on the SSU website. An email sent to all Seawolf students from the Vice President for Student Affairs, Dr. Wm. Gregory Sawyer, explains that “This means there will be no in-person graduation ceremonies…in May.” The email also said that “The campus is brainstorming ways in which we will celebrate our amazing graduates.” 

President Judy Sakaki has informed students via email that “this was a very difficult decision,” and she ensures that SSU is “Not canceling, just postponing graduation ceremonies until it is safe to celebrate our graduates.”

Despite uncertainty across the nation about graduation ceremonies this semester, some colleges are providing more information about the issue than others. Many campuses have provided videos, web pages, and detailed communication about graduation this semester. SSU’s communication has paled in comparison.

While deciding to postpone graduation ceremonies was most likely a very difficult and stressful decision for SSU administrators, the ambiguity in their messaging is causing seniors additional anxiety and confusion. Some seniors are dealing with the news of postponement better than others, but many are disappointed because the celebration of everything they have worked toward throughout the last four years has been put on hold.

Lauren Bracken, a current SSU senior, said, “I didn’t think walking on a stage would mean so much to me until I saw how much it crushed my mom. I feel like I worked my butt off for 4 years, became president of a club, achieved academic honors, and for what? I’m just feeling heartbroken mostly about not being able to thank my professors face to face for the person they’ve helped me become.” 

Additionally, many SSU students are concerned about what this postponement means for their careers. None of the official SSU communications addresses when seniors will actually obtain their degrees. 

UC Berkeley postponed its 2020 Spring graduation ceremony, but the administration is asking for students’ advice on how they wish to celebrate their graduation in a safe and healthy way. UC Berkeley’s website devotes an entire web page to discuss graduation postponement. They suggest various ideas for postponement such as “[setting] a date later in the summer in the hope that conditions improve sufficiently” or possibly “[inviting students] to participate in the December 2020 or the May 2021 ceremonies.” Additionally, the administration at UC Berkeley is asking students if they would still like to “hold a virtual celebration on the original May 16, 2020 date” and explains that they “want to hear from [students].” Along with this information, they posted a survey that students can share how they want their graduation ceremony to proceed. 

The University of Pennsylvania has shared with their students that they will be holding a virtual ceremony on the original graduation date and that they are considering holding another, in-person, ceremony in the Fall. They also have an entire web page dedicated to graduation postponement. Le Moyne College President Linda LeMura assured her students that an on-campus graduation ceremony will take place at some point. “While much of the planning is still taking place, [she] can promise [students] this much: [they] will have a commencement ceremony. [They] will walk across a stage, and [she] will hand [them their] diploma. [They] will be back on [their] campus and we will cheer your accomplishments.” She also posted a video of herself on their website explaining, in detail, how the administration plans to deal with online classes and the postponement of their graduation ceremony.

As of March 29th, Sonoma State University has offered students only a brief message from our President about graduation ceremonies being postponed. The message falls short in explaining any potential alternatives or details to help clarify the situation for graduating seniors. SSU administration has not clarified whether or not students will be able to cross the stage as a part of their graduation ceremony and many students are unaware of how postponement will affect them.