Recession is on the rise

exc-5e8397eeece2a164104cf290
exc-5e8397eeece2a164104cf290

As national panic is quickly rising about COVID-19, the economy has been in a downwards spiral. The US is on the path to a recession if containment for the virus is not accomplished soon. The virus is spreading like wildfire, infecting over thousands a day and bringing the total number infected to at least 122,653 people across all of the states, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

With so many people contracting the virus, and more expected in the coming weeks, national panic has risen, leading the nation into an economic downfall. Stock prices have been in free fall, the S&P 500, which tracks the top 500 stocks in the U.S., has plunged by 17% since reaching its peak in February. Far fewer people will be participating in normal daily events and will stop going out to eat, causing local and national businesses to struggle.

For a local burger restaurant in Cotati, CA, known as Acme Burger, who uses locally grown ingredients, high spirits and expectations remain present amidst this tough time. “We want to stay in business for as long as possible, we aren’t going to let the…virus stop us from serving our guests,” said Manager Todd Knies.

Acme Burger is facing struggles as their business is down by 35% since the beginning of the outbreak, but at least they aren’t down and out, as some other local businesses are. Todd and his crew are working tirelessly to keep the restaurant equipment and area clean at all times. “There are no sit down tables inside, customers can only order from the rug that is placed six feet away from the register, and every 15 minutes an employee cleans with bleach and other cleaning products”. Since customers are not allowed to dine in, Acme burger has partnered with a new company called ChowNow, which is a third party commission-free service that delivers food to the customer’s front door right from the restaurant.

President Donald Trump is doing his best in order to help families and businesses financially as he has signed a bill that would give each tax paying American $1,200 or more to assist with the impact of the coronavirus. Landlords in California and other states are to be lenient with rent payments, since many were laid off due to the outbreak, or have had their hours cut. The assistance that Trump is giving Americans will help greatly as many families are living paycheck to paycheck and can not work anymore. It would also allow for the market to grow again as the citizens would spend the money on necessary items and hopefully local businesses.

Adults will receive around $1,200 that earn $99,000 or less a year.

For Sonoma State student and part-time employee, Cameron Chavarria, the financial help will be much appreciated. “A stimulus check would benefit myself as I am currently unable to work on campus due

to the coronavirus and not currently receiving money on a monthly basis like I usually do”. Cameron is not alone as hundreds of student employees lost their jobs. Many Seawolves work on campus in order to pay their way through college, pay their own rent, or help their parents with bills at home.