Sonoma Inmates released for shelter in place

exc-5e8d16833ad0e83cb7e2fb11
exc-5e8d16833ad0e83cb7e2fb11

Around 200 Sonoma County inmates will be released from jails in an attempt to limit the spread of the CoronaVirus. This decision, which was made by Sonoma County Superior Court Judges, will put an abrupt halt to inmates that are nonviolent offenders nearing the end of their sentence and asking them to return on a later date. The results could see positive and negative repercussions as it can possibly help the jail system contain the spread of the virus. It could also not be efficient because of the virus’s probability to spread quicker. 

This strategy has helped the two Sonoma County jails reduce the total inmate population by 20%. Currently, there are around 877 inmates among the two prisons where there are typically around 1,100 inmates, according to Sonoma County sheriff spokesman Juan Valencia.

Officials agreed to choose inmates who were charged with driving under the influence to serve the remainder of their sentence at home while the inmate must wear a tracking device to make sure they comply with the agreement, according to Sonoma County Public Defender Kathleen Pozzi. This alternate way to serve time could be beneficial as it is ensuring non-violent criminals will be safe at their home.

This will serve the same purpose of being in jail because the individuals still have to serve their respected time and can not be out in society. The process of this selection started on March 18, the same date Sonoma County residents were instructed to stay in their homes as a shelter-in-place order was issued by Sonoma County health officials. Jail systems in the Bay Area have also made exceptions to inmates in their facilities, along with many other jails systems all over America according to Pozzi. 

Not only has the Bay Area reduced their inmate population in order to prevent the spread of CoronaVirus, but at least 16 states have also done this including Texas, New York, and Ohio, The Wall Street Journal reports.

Sonoma County District Attorney Jill Ravich has asked local police officers to cite and release most suspected misdemeanors, as incarceration will be reserved for more serious offenses. Pozzi also wants more to be done about the inmate population, her goal is to get 30% of inmates out of jail. 

The Sonoma county jail system is doing everything they can in order to limit the spread of COVID-19. On March 23 the Sonoma County Courts began prosecuting inmates over video chat. This will limit the number of people physically having to meet in a courthouse where it can now be done in the cell of a jail. It is a good sign to see that the judges care about inmate safety and would do anything they can to help limit the spread of this current pandemic. It looks like Sonoma County wants to go back to normal life as people and officials are doing everything they can to persevere during the Shelter-in-place order.