Wealth and the privileges it holds

exc-5e9f36978bc9045459b49ffc
exc-5e9f36978bc9045459b49ffc

Many prominent figures in media, sports, and politics have been tested for the COVID-19 CoronaVirus, as cases in the United States have been blowing out the competition.  The U.S. leads the world in confirmed COVID-19 cases, but many people still find it difficult to get diagnosed due to a short supply of test kits.  If a particular country is leading the world in a pandemic, that country should have an abundance of test kits in order to keep track of illnesses and deaths throughout the population, which the United States is struggling to do.  

On one hand, the U.S. has a staggering number of middle and lower-income Americans who do not have access to these highly sought-after tests, which affect those in their community and cause an even larger spread of the potentially deadly virus.  On the other hand, many wealthy and famous faces have been easily tested- some numerous times- even if he or she is not showing actual symptoms of the virus. 

Many people are speculating as to whether or not these upper-income citizens have a “front of the line” pass to CoronaVirus tests, and President Trump was even questioned about it in a recent news conference.  Trump implied he has no idea if this is the case, saying “you’d have to ask them that question…some people have been tested fairly quickly.” 

Earlier in the year, eight entire NBA teams were tested after a confirmed case made its way into the league.  Although it appears that any NBA team or other professional sports organization has special access to tests, it does not mean every team will take advantage of that. 

Bob Myers, President of Basketball Operations for the Golden State Warriors, indicated it would be unfair if his team used their privileges to obtain COVID-19 tests. He understands that tests are in short supply and high demand, and if he were to seek special access on behalf of his team, that would not be right. The only way that Myers would want one of his players or staff-tested, is if the member is showing symptoms.  This is a good mindset to have as this allows an equal opportunity to people that may have this horrible virus, but cannot get tested due to the shortage of kits. 

According to another high profile individual, Bill de Blasio, Mayor of New York, wishes the players a speedy recovery, but does agree that an entire NBA team who are not demonstrating symptoms should not be tested while there are patients that are ill in the hospital, stating “tests should not be for the wealthy, but for the sick.” 

While many sick patients are in the hospital dying without being tested, many professional athletes not showing symptoms are given a test.  As the Mayor of New York implied, the rich are being tested over the sick which proves the disparity in the American health system.  The amount of resources and connections a person has ultimately determines if he or she will be taken care of or not in a situation like this in America, and all over the world.

According to recent data from the Chinese Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, people at lower income levels are about 10 times more likely to have an existing health condition.  Such conditions can make the CoronaVirus 10 times more deadly. 

It is so important for people in this country who do not make much money to have the same access as the wealthy and famous, so it can be determined if they have the virus.  If the United States provides adequate testing across the country, it would save many lives.