Creative celebrations for quarantine birthdays

exc-5ea86d8b26406e5b0d4586b4
exc-5ea86d8b26406e5b0d4586b4

In the springtime, birthdays are meant to be celebrated outside in the fresh sunshine, after all of the rain and gloomy clouds from winter vanish.  Unfortunately, this year many people cannot enjoy their big day in the way they would have wanted.  No one ever imagined the world would be turned upside due to the COVID-19 pandemic.  In order to fight the Coronavirus, the federal government implemented strict measures, which include the banning of gatherings containing more than two people, and enforcing a “stay-at-home” order, preventing millions of people from leaving their house unless essential.  These restrictions make it nearly impossible for a birthday or a holiday to be traditionally celebrated as many people usually gather at a house or a park to enjoy each other’s company.

Being able to celebrate a birthday is an important tradition to Americans, as your age signifies numerous milestones. Birthdays, especially for young kids, can be the best day of the year, as they rack up sums of money and gifts from their friends and family.  When teenagers turn 18, they symbolically become an adult and start their life journey.  Not being able to celebrate birthdays because of the current pandemic that the world is facing can be a real bummer.  Unfortunately, this is the way it has to be in order to keep everyone safe and healthy.  

For Sonoma State student and recent birthday girl, Marissa Salinas, these restrictions did not stop her from celebrating her birthday with the people she loved, “My friends and family pulled up to my house in cars to sing me happy birthday and take shots with me as it was my 21 birthday celebration.”  Some people peeked through their sunroof and others got out of the car, but kept a six-foot distance while they sang and celebrated together. “I really enjoyed it …I was a little bummed because it was my 21 birthday and I was really excited to spend it with the friends that I hang out with every day, except during quarantine,” Marissa said. 

Marissa is not the only person to have celebrated her big day this way, there are many videos of people conducting drive-by celebrations, called birthday parades, on social media platforms. These birthday parades are a good alternative to traditional birthday celebrations during the current pandemic as people are practicing social distancing while celebrating the birthday of their loved ones and friends. 

On a residential street in Culver City, California, many of the homeowners place big “happy birthday” signs on either their lawn or front window to help celebrate the birthday of their neighbor’s young children.  Lucy Thomas, who turned seven last week, got in on the action as her parents walked with her around the block on her special day to see all of her friends and neighbors celebrating in honor of her birthday.  Lucy was so happy and thankful to have her special day remembered by everyone.  

Birthday parades are a great alternative to traditional parties during these strict “stay-at-home” orders.  This is just one way to help bring light to a bleak situation.  Even though most events in America are canceled, birthday celebrations still stand strong.