COVID-19 triggers addiction relapses and overdose deaths

exc-5ea86f0875421c7f0f48f059
exc-5ea86f0875421c7f0f48f059

The coronavirus pandemic is causing a lot of difficulties for people who struggle with addiction or substance abuse. People who suffer from the disease of addiction are particularly vulnerable to catching coronavirus and having more severe cases if they do catch it. Along with the increased risk of being seriously affected by the virus, people who suffer from addiction are fighting relapse with fewer resources and support available. Dealing with recovery from addiction is already difficult enough, but additional complications due to the recent COVID-19 outbreak make it unfathomably harder.

Peter Grinspoon, a primary care doctor from Chelsea, Massachusetts, which currently has the highest rate of COVID-19 in the state, explained the multiple factors that may put people struggling with addiction at a higher risk for relapse or death during the pandemic. 

“People suffering from addiction are vastly more vulnerable to coronavirus, as they are more likely to be homeless, poor, smokers with lung or cardiovascular disease, under- or uninsured, or have experienced serious health and socioeconomic issues from drug addiction,” said Grinspoon. Additionally, they often have weaker immune systems and are therefore more prone to infection and disease. 

The same people who are most at risk of contracting the virus are now also facing a dire lack of availability of resources to help them avoid relapse and stay healthy. 

“Whatever structures used to maintain sobriety by people with substance-use issues tend to fall away in a pandemic,” said Dr. Lawrence Brown Jr., CEO of START, New York’s largest independent drug treatment agency, in a WebMD article. 

People have lost proximity to support systems, programs, and relationships that help them stay sober. AA meetings and support groups have largely moved online, even though many people in recovery highly value, need, and miss the camaraderie of support groups. “The social isolation that is so critical to preventing the spread of coronavirus prevents people from attending peer-support groups, which are such a vital source of emotional and spiritual support to people struggling to stay in recovery,” said Grinspoon. 

Since the outbreak of the virus, people in recovery and had to quickly adjust to appointments and counseling via telehealth, virtual meetings, social networks, and apps–and these changes can be stressful, exacerbating the difficulty of recovery. They are also being told to stay home, which directly contradicts the need to go to clinics to obtain prescribed medications for treating addiction. 

The COVID-19 pandemic also seems to be increasing the number of overdose deaths. Users who have adopted harm reduction techniques and use drugs with friends are now using them alone, and there is no one nearby to administer naloxone or call 911 in the event of an overdose. When people do call 911, the health care system is overloaded, and first responders may not arrive as quickly. The city of Vancouver in Canada announced that there had been a spike in overdose-suspected deaths from March 23 to March 28 amid the coronavirus crisis. Likewise, when social distancing requirements were implemented in Ohio county, there was a spike in overdose deaths–six people in 24 hours–according to the Ohio County Coroner, Dr. Anahi Ortiz.

In order to protect those most at risk from the virus and who are faced with the dual crisis of coronavirus and addiction, loved ones of people dealing with addiction and substance abuse should consider how they can reach out and provide support. “We need to make sure that they are getting the medications they need to recover, that they have access to clean needles if they are still using, adequate medical care, food, and housing–basic human needs,” suggested Grinspoon. Even though we must remain physically distant during the pandemic, family and friends can provide comfort and security from afar, and hearing words like “I love you,” “I miss you,” and “I need you,” can be therapeutic and make a huge impact on the journey of a recovering addict.