Black lives still matter

exc-5f444b6989e3b51301ed4f86
exc-5f444b6989e3b51301ed4f86

The Black Lives Matter movement is still pushing onwards for change, though the news media seems to have lost interest in covering the ongoing protests around the country. Though lack of coverage, people around the United States have taken to social media platforms such as Instagram, Twitter, and the most recent obsession TikTok, to keep the attention on what most media outlets will not—the momentum that still surrounds Black Lives Matter. 

COURTESY// Geoff Livingston

COURTESY// Geoff Livingston

When looking at the beginning of the protests following the unjust murders of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor, it seems that the media only had the interest to report the protests when they turned from peaceful to violent. 

According to Kendra Pierre-Louis, writer for the Nieman Lab, having the media portray the protests as an annoyance/nuisance and violent is, in part, why there has been a divide between individuals who support BLM and those who do not. 

However, that is not the only reason. Kendra writes, “The role of journalism is to hold powerful people and institutions accountable to the broader public. But that is not possible if the way we report on protests is biased from the start.” 

Much of the American population at the start of the protests only saw negativity that was being continuously portrayed by the news media, which frequently resulted from instigated assaults on protesters.  

Now, months after the start of the Black Lives Matter movement, we see minimal, if any, coverage of the protests at all. The attitude of the media is quite contradictory as the movement continues with vigor and exasperation. Exasperation that there is still no change, no justice, no peace. 

If one observes social media outlets where individuals are documenting the protesting that is still happening all over the country, one will not find lootings and riots. Social media posts consist of people lending a helping hand, individuals giving away free food and water to whoever may need it. Users will come across protestors chanting the countless names of the victims of police brutality. 

These demonstrations continue on daily, even after nearly two months since the start of the protests, fueled by the death of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor. Though the lack of media coverage has created an inaccurate narrative that the protests have ceased and that the movement is over when that is far from the truth. 

Rev. William Lawson, Wheeler Avenue Baptist Pastor, commented, “[That] movement is not going to stop after two weeks, three weeks, a month. That movement is going to change the world,” mentioned in The Hill’s article on the impact Black Lives Matter has had on society. 

The perseverance of Black Lives Matter, even now without the media coverage, is further proof that the work to end the unjust treatment of African Americans in the United States is far from over. It is our job as allies to stay educated, donate to causes that help, support the local black-owned businesses in our areas, and educate others who still do not seem to understand the gravity of the current situation. Most importantly, we must remember never to stop saying their names: George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Elijah McClain, Atatiana Jefferson, Trayvon Martin, Tamir Rice, Stephon Clark, Botham Jean, Alton Sterling, Eric Garner, Janisha Fonville, Michael Brown–