New habits caused by COVID-19

exc-5f69ab1d14e4112b09607337
exc-5f69ab1d14e4112b09607337

Typically, most Americans scramble around their busy schedules in a chaotic rush, which makes days go by like seconds. That is, until this past March when everything came to a full stop. The novel coronavirus outbreak started in early Jan. and spread rapidly throughout the world. After the government mandated “shelter in place” orders, millions of Americans found themself stuck at home and with a significant amount of time on their hands.

COURTESY// SACHAC

COURTESY// SACHAC

The abundance of time now spent inside and the break from usual routines has caused a significant impact on people’s overall wellbeing. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, from June 24-30,  people  older than 18 years old struggled with their mental health, as it was affected due to the stay-at-home-orders. “Overall, 40.9% of respondents reported at least one adverse mental or behavioral health condition, including symptoms of anxiety disorder or depressive disorder (30.9%), symptoms of a trauma- and stressor-related disorder (TSRD) related to the pandemic† (26.3%), and having started or increased substance use to cope with stress or emotions related to COVID-19 (13.3%).” 

Suicide rates have also been rising since the coronavirus pandemic began. Amy Hollyfield, from ABC7 news, interviewed doctors at the John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek. “[Doctors] say they have seen more deaths by suicide during this quarantine period than deaths from the COVID-19 virus…Kacey Hansen has worked as a trauma nurse at John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek for almost 33 years. She is worried because not only are they seeing more suicide attempts, she says they are not able to save as many patients as usual.” With all of that being said, now more than ever, it is important to practice mindfulness and seek help if you have been emotionally affected during this detrimental time. 

Sonoma State Senior Ana Rubio-Lara said, “Since I lost my three jobs, I didn’t know what to do with my life, so I tried to find new hobbies like painting, making bracelets, and doing my own nails. It was hard to keep up with my health, too- I lost a lot of motivation to workout. it’s not the same without a gym. and turning 21 during quarantine didn’t do much for me, but it isn’t hard at all to crave a drink or two here and there with not much to do.”

Many trends surfaced on Instagram and TikTok when quarantining became normal. We had the Until Tomorrow challenge, Bingo cards, Female Empowerment Challenge, and many more self-empowerment trends online. Many people’s spending, eating, exercising, and hygiene habits have changed since the beginning of the year. 

Some people found themselves reading, cooking, exercising, playing board games, arts and crafts, and baking more solely because we had more time to think about ourselves, including our passions and daily habits. 

Sonoma State Senior, Delaney Frye, said, “When quarantine started, I definitely started slacking off with my health. I started cooking more, which has been great, but along with cooking has come with a lot more drinking than usual. I had started exploring more cuisines but love having a glass of wine, or two, maybe three, while doing it, which I never did before because I always had somewhere to be in the morning. I did start running, though, because with no gyms opened, it was a healthy outlet for me to relieve some of the stress that 2020 has screwed us with.”  

Some people may have formed good habits and explored new hobbies that may change our future, which could be one of the few positive things that have come out of such a historical year. Now is your time to focus on your mental and physical health before it’s too late, and we catch ourselves scrambling around our busy schedules again.