‘Homekey’ program helps homeless

exc-5f7aae524f06e87905e4fcb0
exc-5f7aae524f06e87905e4fcb0

On Monday, Governor Gavin Newsom announced the latest round of awards from the state’s $600 million “Homekey” program, which helps cities turn existing buildings into supportive housing during and beyond the pandemic. Newsom announced that the city of Oakland will be receiving $20 million for homeless housing to decrease the number of homeless on the streets. Natalie Orenstein from The Oakland Side said that the Coronavirus relief funds will turn dorms into single-family homes in Clifton Hall, a former residential hall at the California College of the Arts dorm in Rockridge. 

COURTESY// THOMAS HAWK

COURTESY// THOMAS HAWK

“Oakland was told Tuesday that two additional Homekey applications the city submitted—to turn an SRO and a hotel into housing for formerly incarcerated residents and veterans—have been put on a waitlist and could eventually receive funding,” said spokesperson Autumn King.

Homelessness is not just a crisis in California, but the entire United States, and it has been long overdue to tackle this pressing issue. Although there isn’t one solution to cure homelessness in America, there are little steps we can take as caring and compassionate individuals. Being homeless can mean one has reached a hardship in life, and while some recover, some sadly don’t ever recover. According to Homelessness Policy Research Institute, “As of January 2019, 27% of people experiencing homelessness in the entire United States are in California. Homelessness in California increased by more than 22% over the last decade. Between 2018 and 2019, homelessness in California increased by over 16%.”

Half of Oakland’s $20 million awards will allow the city to purchase Clifton Hall, a former California College of the Arts dorm at 5276 Broadway in Rockridge. The building has 63 units, 42 of which will become permanent housing for seniors at greater risk from COVID-19. The city plans to prioritize current residents of Project Roomkey hotels, the county’s temporary coronavirus shelters. Doing this is a step toward recovery for many homeless people and maybe a new start for them.

The other $10 million will go into Bay Area Community Services, which is a nonprofit organization. BACAS is purchasing 20 single-family homes in East Oakland and turning them into affordable homes for people living on the streets. 

We should never judge a book by its cover when we see a homeless person on the side of the road with a sign. People can become homeless for multiple reasons such as poverty, unemployment, or lack of affordable housing. Some people suffer from mental health or drug and alcohol abuse. Some were in domestic violence, physical and/or sexual abuse situations, which has led them to cope with substance abuse. From HowStuffWorks, Stephanie Watson said, “The two biggest factors driving homelessness are poverty and the lack of affordable housing. In 2004, 37 million people, or 12.7 percent of the American population was living in poverty, according to the National Coalition for the Homeless. Many of these people live from paycheck to paycheck with nothing saved in the bank. The loss of a job, an illness, or another catastrophic event can quickly lead to missed rent or mortgage payments and ultimately, to eviction or foreclosure.”  

One can help their local homeless population by donating to a local shelter or providing them groceries or necessities they may need. The chance at a healthy life in America and a roof over their head must not be seen as a privilege, but a right for all.