A pandemic-modified Halloween and Day of the Dead

exc-5f9cd6d9e9a0e4631ae01453
exc-5f9cd6d9e9a0e4631ae01453

As Halloween creeps up on us, many traditions that have not stopped despite the pandemic are the Halloween pumpkin patches or the haunted houses. In a more modified way, these attractions have survived the barrage of comments that Halloween will not happen as it has before this year.  

One such attraction that’s forged ahead in accommodations is the Petaluma Pumpkin Patch. In an article from the Press Democrat, Jim Groverman, owner of Groverman’s Pumpkin Patch, stated that some changes made this year were the widening of the path in the corn maze and the “additional sanitizing of shared wheelbarrows and tables, and roving monitors who ensure visitors remain masked, and more than six feet apart, the frivolity of pumpkin-hunting and maze exploration has been able to continue for its 29th year relatively uninhibited.” Another precaution is not allowing people to park on the shoulder of Stony Point Road once the parking lot is full. The pumpkin patch may be a frivolity, but it is a welcome distraction from the Glass fires. 

COURTESY// GRUNTZOOKI

COURTESY// GRUNTZOOKI

Another attraction that has not hit the breaks is the Los Angeles Haunted House. According to their website, not only has their location been changed to accommodate the fact they are now operating as a drive-through experience, but they also require reservations and arriving up to fifteen minutes in advance. They have also taken safety precautions like not having actors come in contact with the vehicles or anyone inside, and that cast members would be wearing masks underneath all the prosthetics. 

A New York Times article stated that in accordance with the Center for Disease Control guidelines, “On the list of moderate risks was “trick-or-treating where individually wrapped goody bags are lined up for families to grab and go while continuing to social distance” while pumpkin carving with members of the same household is considered low risk. However, “Crowded indoor parties and haunted houses “where people may be crowded together and screaming,” are on the higher-risk end of the spectrum right alongside traditional trick-or-treating, according to the C.D.C.”

Another holiday derailed by the pandemic was the Dia de Los Muertos or Day of the Dead. Celebrated from Nov. 1-2 in Latin American countries, the annual parade in Mexico City, an event that brings thousands of people together, was also canceled due to the pandemic, according to Vice News. Another tradition where families visit their deceased family members’ graves is also advised against because cemeteries become crowded with people. Mexico’s Assistant Health Secretary, Hugo López-Gatell, suggested that the only way to safely allow the nighttime ritual would be to “stagger” gravesite visits. 

In Santa Rosa, the Day of the Dead Museum has been relocated outdoors. According to Bohemian “The outdoor exhibition adapts to the safety and health protocols that the Museum of Sonoma County is committed to following, and the outdoor setting will also parallel the many Day of the Dead observances that take place in Mexican cemeteries and public community spaces.” It will feature a tribute to those who lost their lives to the pandemic.

Even though we will not be able to enjoy Halloween or Day of the Dead in the same manner that we have been able to previously, it does not mean that they are called off. We just need to find alternative ways to celebrate them, like a visit to the pumpkin patch or just decorating in and around our homes to get in the spirit of things.