Starting off strong: Biden’s 10-day plan

exc-601c7f4678a1067166d72c53
exc-601c7f4678a1067166d72c53

On Jan. 20th Joe Biden became the 46th President of the United States. His inauguration was a long-awaited day for many Americans who hope this change in office will result in “history and hope…renewal and resolve,” words spoken by Biden himself in his Inaugural address. The Biden administration announced an ambitious 10 day plan for his first days in office, each day targeting a contentious issue followed by actions to alter some of what had been done by the Trump administration. The 10-day plan outlined each day as followed with his inauguration day targeting the four Crises, next Covid-19, then, Economic Relief, Buy America, Equity, Climate, Health Care, and Immigration. Weekends were accounted for.

President Biden has signed 42 Executive Orders as of Jan 29 since being in office, many aim to address the issues outlined in this 10-day plan. Biden has restored the Affordable Care Act to its state prior to the Trump administration, therefore making it easier for Americans to enroll in Medicaid. Biden issued another Executive Order that provided more reproductive rights claiming its purpose is, “to protect and expand access to comprehensive reproductive health care” by eliminating the gag rule. Biden has signed 11 Executive Orders involving COVID-19 that aim to increase the government’s responsibility in addressing the pandemic. These included having the United States rejoin the World Health Organization, enforced masks and social distancing on federal property and public transport, and instating a position within the executive office to address COVID-19. 

COURTESY// Gage Skidmore

COURTESY// Gage Skidmore

In terms of economic relief, two executive orders have been signed including one that halts student loan payments. Biden has signed two Executive Orders aimed to strengthen the workforce for Americans by increasing protections and allocating more government funds for workers. To address the climate crisis four Executive Orders have been issued, including one that rectifies the United States agreement in the Paris Climate Agreement. 

Five Executive orders have been signed that address Immigration issues including strengthening DACA and eliminating what became popularly known as the ‘Muslim ban’. Aditionally, Biden has reversed the ban on transgender people serving in the military as well as strengthened protections for all LGBTQ+ people across America. Issues of racism were addressed with three Executive Orders that prohibit the Justice Department to resign contracts with private prisons, a system that is racially biased by design. Two orders were signed to address issues internally within our government that has changed the ease at which Executive Orders can be signed and implemented as well as halted lobbyists using gifts to persuade congress members. 

During Biden’s campaign he promised to address deep seated racism in our country, with his 100-day plan it is set in place to do just that. The radical approach Biden is taking is what is needed to heal our country from its man made racial divide. Students are awaiting Biden’s action on the College for All Act proposed by Senator Bernie Sanders in 2017, Biden has proclaimed his support for the act in the past but if action will be taken we can only see in the coming months. 

President Biden has the tools and expressed an understanding of the ways many Americans are hoping to see this country heal after a traumatic 2020 and a predecessor that seemed to thrive off the divide of the American people. We can be hopeful that this administration aims to heal our country as we continue to be aware of the power we as citizens have to uphold those in office to the standards we set for them.