Disney embraces change with new inclusive policies

exc-6091e151346b8e6d60b24e0a
exc-6091e151346b8e6d60b24e0a

Disney Parks announced that it is changing its employee dress code policy to be more inclusive for a more diverse workforce. Disney said, “our new approach provides greater flexibility with respect to forms of personal expression surrounding gender-inclusive hairstyles, jewelry, nail styles, and costume choices; and allowing appropriate visible tattoos.” According to Disney, more freedom of expression will create a more authentic environment overall. This push by Disney to make a more inclusive working environment is part of a bigger goal to better represent the unique backgrounds of guests and employees through Disney experiences.

COURTESY // qin linlin

COURTESY // qin linlin

In 2019, Disney surveyed its employees to find out what they thought would help create a more accommodating and inclusive working environment. According to Disney, more than 100 new ideas were introduced, and one idea, in particular, stuck with Disney; inclusion. Inclusion connected with Disney so much that they added it to their list of core values, called ‘keys,’ making it the fifth key ever added to the list of Disney ‘Keys.’ 

Every Disney employee knows the four, and now five keys. The four keys, safety, courtesy, show and efficiency, have guided Disneys’ approach to the working environment for the past 65 years. Now, these five keys, with the addition of inclusion, are the first thing Disney employees learn about when they join the brand; whether it be the experiences, like the parks, or products, such as films and toys. These keys are enforced routinely, and Disney asks that every employee use the keys as a blueprint for their daily decision-making. The new fifth key, inclusion, will be a part of the guide that Disney will use moving forward.

One of the most significant ways this new key has already impacted Disney workers is by allowing them to express themselves as individuals. “Moving forward, we believe our cast, who are at the center of the magic that lives in all our experiences, can provide the best of Disney’s legendary guest service when they have more options for personal expression – creating richer, more personal and more engaging experiences with our guests.” Disney said in a Disney Parks Blog post. Disney also mentioned that their inclusion key “will continue to guide us as we interact with guests, collaborate together, create the next generation of Disney products and experiences, and make critical decisions about the future of our business.”

The world is changing at a faster rate than ever before. More people are living on this earth, and everyone has their unique background and identity. Past traditions within the U.S. and across the world have been built around values that have not accommodated a diverse, ever-expanding population. Visitors will surely find a diverse Disney experience refreshing. It is inspiring to see Disney, one of the largest brands in the world, embrace change. They will undoubtedly gain more recognition for the great things they are doing to accommodate a more diverse workforce. At the same time, however, it makes sense why Disney decided to lead the way towards creating an inclusive work environment. Since they are recognized globally, if they do not change their core values to accommodate a more diverse audience, it might be detrimental to their success in the coming decades. Nonetheless, this move by Disney is motivating and inspiring.