France banning hijabs stirs worldwide conversation

exc-6091e3264b1bdd248082bd56
exc-6091e3264b1bdd248082bd56

At the end of March and the beginning of April, the French Senate approved a new amendment that would ban Muslim women who are younger than 18-years-old from wearing their hijabs in public. Following that, another amendment was approved soon after, banning parents from participating in school activities with their children if they too are wearing religious clothing, such as hijabs. However, both amendments are still required to be approved by the National Assembly before becoming law. 

COURTESY // islamicus

COURTESY // islamicus

The amendment banning women of 18-years-old or younger from wearing their hijabs in Paris, France had a 177 to 141 vote, that involved senators from the Socialist Party, Communist Party and the Republic On the Move Party, which is led by President Emmanuel Macron. 

The amendment is correlated to Macron’s “anti-separatism” bill, which has been discussed since March. According to the Daily Sabah, if the bill is approved “the French government would ban homeschooling for Muslims, make formal education obligatory and would be able to close associations, schools, and mosques if a suspicious incident occurred.”

One French politician shared his reasoning on why he supported the amendment by saying “it is not up to the parents to impose dogmas on children.”

Though this is taking place in France, the world is aware of the French senate’s decision to try and ban women wearing their hijabs and they are not happy. “France, the world is watching,” said Muslim American Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn) on an Instagram post on April 9, along with the hashtags #handsoffmyhijab and #stopobessingovermyhijab. 

According to the United Nations Human Rights website, there is an international standard on freedom of religion and belief, which includes that “everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience, and religion; this right includes freedom […] either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance.” With this being said, the two amendments that the French Senate is attempting to get approved by the National Assembly break these international standards.

Religion is a significant aspect to those who choose to have one. It is not up to politicians to impose laws that tell their citizens when and where it is appropriate to follow one’s religious traditions. Rather it is up to the one who is personally involved with their religion to make their own decisions, such as choosing whether or not they want to continue following religious beliefs; such as wearing a hijab. 

Politicians have no rightful authority imposing such an invasive law, and the French Senate allowing these amendments to be approved sends a prejudicial message about the Muslim demographic that lives in France. The amendments that were voted into place target the Muslim community and could potentially provoke harm towards individuals who wear hijabs, burqas, or other religious items. It is clearly shown, by the support garnered for these amendments, that the French Senate is disregarding human rights for the Muslim community, and does not have concerns about the potential problems these laws may bring.

Now, the world waits to see what happens next to these amendments. Will the amendments be approved by the National Assembly and stifle religious freedoms to comfortably and safely express their religion? Or, will they be denied as law, and Muslims are rightfully allowed to wear what they are comfortable with wearing.