COVID-19 protesters exploit Holocaust symbols

exc-6091e737c113e05ca8b71c2b
exc-6091e737c113e05ca8b71c2b

On April 24, a protest titled “Unite For Freedom” was organized in London, England to show objection towards the current public health precautions such as lockdowns. They were also protesting against COVID-19 vaccines and vaccine passports. Thousands of people attended this protest and some attendees were seen wearing the yellow Star of David symbol in the form of pins or printed designs on clothing with the phrase, “No COVID Certificates” written in the star.

COURTESY // Instagram

COURTESY // Instagram

The yellow Star of David, also known as the yellow badge, was utilized from 1939-1945 in Nazi-occupied Europe. It was mandatory for Jewish people during this time to wear badges of the yellow star as a form of identification. The star was intended to segregate and discriminate against Jewish people. It was also used to identify them for deportation to Nazi concentration camps for industrialized genocide.

According to CNN, those who chose to wear the yellow star during the protest in London believe that having to show vaccination documentation is comparable to Jewish people being forced to wear the yellow badge. David M. Perry, who wrote the article for CNN is extremely against the idea of these protesters using these symbols. “Such an analogy is, to say the least, both offensive and incoherent,” Perry said.

Currently, the United Kingdom protesters are not alone when it comes to the decision of using holocaust symbols as anti-vaccination or anti-lockdown symbols. Last November, protesters in Germany compared themselves during the COVID-19 lockdowns to Anne Frank, a famous Holocaust victim who was forced to hide for two years. In Feb., Israeli protesters were seen correlating the yellow star to the idea of vaccine passports. They featured the symbol in comparison to vaccine passports on posters and signs. Even in the United States, Republicans from Minnesota in addition to people in a right-wing group from Colorado thought the mandatory mask mandate was similar to Jewish people having to wear the yellow badge.

Using this symbol as an analogy for COVID-19 related aspects such as lockdowns or vaccines is extremely offensive. Having to show documentation of a vaccination to travel or enter certain establishments is not the same as being forced to wear a yellow Star of David badge to be identified as a Jewish person during the holocaust. Regulations and vaccine requirements are put in place to keep the public safe and to proceed to normalcy as soon as possible. Therefore, having protests against these safety measures and the vaccines is already irresponsible, but choosing to use these Holocaust symbols as a way to get their point across is disrespectful to the thousands of people that lost their lives. 

People have expressed their disapproval of these protesters on social media. Jewish comedian and writer, David Baddiel posted on Twitter imploring those who chose to wear the yellow star to remove them. “Take. That. Off. Please, I beg of you, never forget those whose yellow stars could not be taken off, and who paid the highest price,” stated Baddiel. 

Currently, the distribution of the COVID-19 vaccine is not equal in all parts of the world. Some countries are not able to receive the vaccine in the quantities that they need to ultimately stop the spread of COVID-19. Many individuals who want or need the vaccine are having trouble receiving one. Having these protests in countries that are fortunate enough to have decent access to the vaccines is insensitive to those who are unable to get one. 

The Jewish community is also very distraught about the news of these protesters making analogies and using symbols that represent such an oppressive time for their ancestors as symbols for their year of wearing a mask or getting a vaccine. A spokesperson for the Auschwitz Museum spoke with The Independent and stated, “Instrumentalisation of the tragedy of Jews who suffered, were humiliated, marked with a yellow star, and finally isolated in ghettos and murdered during the Holocaust, in order to argue against vaccination that saves human lives is a sad symptom of moral and intellectual decline.” 

Having frustrations towards the lockdowns and the challenges that are caused by COVID-19 are completely valid. Many people can relate to agree that the pandemic has caused a lot of setbacks and problems. However, using holocaust symbols and events to express frustrations with COVID-19 issues is horrible and offensive. These symbols should not be used, especially by those who are using the yellow Star of David badge as Holocaust appropriation and there is no situation where the usage of it would ever be appropriate.