Sorority life at Sonoma and the many misconceptions

exc-612ec58b768a7d6d5b0d60c8
exc-612ec58b768a7d6d5b0d60c8

There are many stereotypes of sorority girls in popular media, such as that they are rich “daddy’s girls”, shallow, are party girls, etc. There may be some individuals who embody the stereotypes; however, there are many hard-working people who want to defeat the negative stereotypes. 

The topic of sororities has so much depth to it because of how stigmatized it is within popular media. However, it seems as though Sonoma State’s Greek Life is very different from media portrayals of what people assume that sorority life is about. 

Most women get involved in sorority activities because they want to feel the full college experience. “I felt like something was missing from my college experience and I still had yet to find a group of like minded women,” said Karen Vielma-Cortes, SSU student and member of Sigma Pi Alpha. 

In reality, Greek Life is all about forming connections with other people, and making sure that students feel like they are being listened to. Vielma-Cortes found this in her sorority, Sigma Pi Alpha. “When I met the “Ellas” or ”Sigmas”, I was so welcomed by the sisters and I felt like their sisterhood was so genuine.”

Sorority life can help students create real and deep connections with like minded individuals. Jamilah Shimi, a member of Lambda Theta Nu, had trouble creating campus connections and relationships because she grew up in Rohnert Park and never lived in the dorms. She said that Greek life helped her form the friendships she was looking for. Vielma-Cortes also said that she found her “home away from home.”

Shimi also claims that Greek life helped her understand and develop her identity. “In a time where it was hard for me to find myself, I learned to embrace who I am through my culture with confidence,” said Shimi. 

A hugely important aspect of sorority life is academics, as seen with Lambda Theta Nu requiring members to “maintain a 2.7 Cumulative GPA”. Vielma-Cortes wanted to find like minded people that had the same academic and personal goals that she had for herself. 

Sororities are also able to help you get opportunities that you wouldn’t be able to get without the familial connection there. Shimi noted that her sorority has given her the chance to connect with people in the different fields that she is interested in. 

In order to help students start their lives and careers after college, sorority members work to build confidence in their professional skills. In addition, Vielma-Cortes has been able to grow her leadership and networking skills, thus prompting her to grow personally and professionally. 

“I have created bonds with individuals who I probably would have otherwise not met and it has helped me in so many ways, from personal: my big becoming one of my best friends, academics: my sisters motivating me to keep pushing towards my goals, to career: being able to obtain a job in my future job pathway in education,” said Shimi. 

Contrary to popular belief, sororities are not just for partying–they can be so much more. They can provide a shoulder to cry on when things get rough, friends to talk to, a sense of family on campus, and even a home away from home.