Theatre Arts and Dance Hosts Fall 2021 Guest Lecture Series

exc-612ec4f0699f5009d955e592
exc-612ec4f0699f5009d955e592

The Theatre Arts and Dance department is once again putting on a guest lecture series filled with 16 inspiring professionals from both industries. 

Kicking off on Friday, Sept. 10 at noon, and running through Nov. 16, the aim of the guest lecture series, which the department hosts every semester, is to enrich student’s learning from a real-world perspective. This fall, “The series is focused on centering BIPOC artists and serious professionals in their respective fields,” wrote Christine Cali, department chair, in an email. 

While many students have returned to campus this semester, all lectures will be held via Zoom, providing an opportunity for all students to benefit from each guest speaker.

“Navigating this complicated time has not been easy for the field of performing arts. We are used to being in community; creating, sensing and shaping live performance together… With that said, a clear silver lining has been the ability to connect and engage with artists/educators near and far. The Zoom platform has made it possible for the department to build a larger community…” wrote Cali.

Highlighting different areas of the Theatre and Dance department, the speakers range from acclaimed dancers, like Olivia Bowman Jackson, who danced for ten years with the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre, to prominent actors, such as Logan Marshall-Green, who is known for his roles in television series like “24” and “The O.C”.

“Most often, our invited speakers are professional artists with whom our faculty have built relationships with while working in their respective fields throughout their careers. We also check-in with students on artists they would like to be in conversation with. We strive to center the students’ interests and program needs in this process,” wrote Cali.

These guest lectures are invaluable for the students that attend them, as they offer priceless insights into the careers and successes of those who have built their lives around theatre and dance.

“I am looking forward to Ballet Folklorico dancer Osvaldo Ramirez Vidales’ visit. Representation in dance is vital for decolonizing dance education,” wrote Sonoma State student Tiffani Lopez in an email. 

“I love getting to participate with these guest artists because they often bring a wealth of knowledge that I otherwise would never have been exposed to. They share a bit of their movement/dance hxstory so we can get an idea as to the path they took to get where they are,” wrote Sonoma State student Terra Bransfield in an email.

“My favorite thing about the guest lectures is the deep professional insight that each guest brings. Their insight rounds-out the university experience, for me,” continued Lopez.

Students of all majors are encouraged to join in the guest lecture series and learn from professionals who, while focusing on dance and theatre, will have worthwhile experiences and know-how that can be applied across the board.

“…I look forward to simply getting to see what is out there for me as a wanna-be professional dancer in this world,” wrote Bransfield.

In order to attend any of the Zoom sessions, visit the Theatre Arts and Dance homepage on the SSU website, and head to the “Theatre Arts & Dance Fall ’21 Guest Speakers Series” tab to learn more.