Sorority recruitment continues despite COVID-19 setbacks

While classes have returned to campus, sorority recruitment remains online due to sororities wanting to make it accessible for everyone non local or not living on campus. Currently, there are 100+ girls going through recruitment. The theme for the potential new members (or PNMs) for this year’s recruitment is flowers, displaying playful peonies, serene snapdragons, and many more. 

The sororities at Sonoma State include: Alpha Delta Pi, Phi Sigma Sigma, Alpha Xi Delta, Alpha Omicron Phi, and Alpha Gamma Delta. Each group has two recruitment counselors (RCs) that help the recruitment process run smoothly. 

The RCs help guide and even listen to the PNMs potential issues but they are neutral to every sorority as to not influence any of the PNMs decisions. They are still active members of their sorority but their loyalty lies with the Panhellenic council during recruitment. 

The Panhellenic Council is an umbrella organization for the 26 national women’s sororities all throughout the USA and Canada. It is the premier support organization for new members to experience sorority life. 

Recruitment is held over the span of three days, during which PNMs are able to see which sorority they get along with the best, and where they can find their forever friendships and sisterhoods. 

The first day was held on Friday, the 10th and began at 5 p.m. and went until around 10 p.m. It consisted of six rounds in which each PNM got a feel for each sorority and what Greek life is all about. 

Each sorority handled their Zoom meetings differently. For example, one sorority first showed their recruitment video, then had one-on-one time with an active member. Some sororities had one-on-one time with an active member, showed their recruitment video, then came back for some more bonding.

The second day is known as Philanthropy Day, which highlights each sorority’s philanthropy. The day allows sororities to express their passion for their philanthropy and how they are involved. This helps PNMs get a sense of what their potential sisterhood is all about and grow closer to each other.

The last and third day is the most serious day and it is known as Preference (or Pref) Day. The amount of chapters that you can be invited back to is two. 

The dress code of recruitment is different for each day. Day one was comfortable but still casual cute, day two was a more polished look from the previous day, and day three was business casual attire. It is valued that each day, members and PNMs are still expressing their own unique style while getting to know each other. 

Each vibe of the sorority is very different, but they all highlight sisterhood and having someone that you can form a genuine connection with. Sisterhood in a sorority is someone that you can go to for advice, or someone that you can ask for help if you ever need it. Essentially, your sisters will be there for you, through thick and thin. 

Yes, there may have been some technical difficulties. But in the end, there is always a whole group of people working together in order to make this a memorable and fun event for all the lovely PNMs.