Director of Economic Development for Sonoma County’s Office of Equity steps down claiming racial discrimination

exc-6181c7ebcde8a11cff89b94e
exc-6181c7ebcde8a11cff89b94e

Unacceptable and demoralizing: These are the blunt yet meaningful words Alegría De La Cruz, director of Sonoma County’s Office of Equity, used to describe the departure of Sheba Person-Whitley. Person-Whitley stepped down from her position in the Sonoma County office following racial discrimination and is following a role in the U.S. Department of Commerce.

The decision came after seeing the “untenable” work in Sonoma County, as Person-Whitley described it. She stated that she had to face daily sloos of racial bias and microaggression from her peers.

“My time here has been fraught with me doing my very best to perform my duties as executive director while managing the stresses and harm caused as a result of racial bias and microaggression,” Person-Whitley wrote. This is not the way any person would want to be treated in their work position. 

The resignation of the former executive director makes a huge impact within the non-white community of Sonoma County. Progress regarding racial equality has been a slow burn, and with the loss of people of color in these official positions, like Person-Whitley, it is a concern how the county will further handle policies regarding racial equity.

De La Cruz is one of many who is frustrated with the departure, as she sees Person-Whitley as an important tool for devising a plan aimed at attaining greater racial equity, as well as improving the social justice system within local government institutions. Person-Whitley showcased Sonoma County’s ability to change for the better.

“Our future in this county: You look at our kids, they’re Black and Brown; they’re Asian,” De La Cruz states as she cites the need for racial equality in a county that is incredibly diverse. De La Cruz cites Sonoma’s loss of Person-Whitley as one that wounds progression towards the County’s racial equity.

The County of Sonoma website describes its strategic plan for racial equity and social justice as one where equity is the only thing that’s seen. Equity means not being able to see a difference in markers of people within a certain group. For example, people would not be discriminated against in work environments based on their race. This helps lead to a non-bias viewing one’s perspective towards another individual, looking past all markers.

A goal for the county is to have racial equity throughout. Sonoma county states that one of its goals is to “ensure racial equity throughout all county policy decisions and service delivery.” However, the loss of Sheba Person-Whitley may prove to be a setback for the county. Hopefully, the county officials can take this as an opportunity to change and give more attention to policies that will improve racial equity.