Independent filmmakers struggle due to COVID-19

exc-620bff8e3f3fe60ef8e2be60
exc-620bff8e3f3fe60ef8e2be60

Everyone enjoys a trip to the local movie theater; with the smell of popcorn, booming surround sound and the enchanting silver screen. However, since the beginning of the pandemic, there have been considerable changes to how audiences watch movies.

Most major filmmaking studios have had the luxury of pushing back the release dates of their films, hoping to wait for the return of movie-goers. Unfortunately, independent filmmakers do not have the funds to do such things and have taken a major hit as a result, now having to budget for newly introduced health protocols.

Independent filmmakers rely heavily on investors to finance their projects, so their films have to be done in a timely manner in order to pay back said investors. “The changes to industry standards for health and safety will likely remain permanent, so shoots will take more time and cost more money than they did a year ago,” said Joseph Williams, a writer for S&P Global. 

Large studios can afford to put significant amounts of money towards the health and safety of their teams, without it taking a major toll on the money budgeted towards their films. Small productions are not so lucky. 

In an interview with the STAR, Talena Sanders, a Communications professor at Sonoma State University, discussed how safety is a major concern, especially when working in such close quarters. “I typically work in documentary filmmaking, so the way I produce films is different from a narrative production. In the narrative production world, actors and crew can be quarantined before production, making it more possible to have a covid-free production. In a documentary you’re typically following people through their lived experiences as they happen, so it’s harder to be safe.” 

Independent filmmakers have continued creating thoughtful projects, despite the array of setbacks brought on by the pandemic. Abe Chase, a film major from Cypress College, described what has inspired him throughout the pandemic. “The amount of major events that have popped off during the pandemic has almost made it easier to find subject matter. Things like; Pro-Choice vs. Pro-Life, the BLM Movement and the Stop Asian Hate movement. I’m primarily a documentary filmmaker, so for someone like me, this period has been really interesting and exciting to go out and find a story to cover.”

Drive-In movies have made a reappearance, which has allowed indie filmmakers an opportunity to showcase their work in an environment that is COVID-19 safe. The resiliency and drive from these passionate independent artists has definitely been tested and proven during these uncertain times. 

With the Oscars just around the corner, it is important to acknowledge smaller productions that are attempting to create art with a much smaller budget. Remember to interact with social media accounts of indie films, liking and commenting on posts can add to the presence of these projects on all platforms. This can create buzz for upcoming release dates and add to the potential success of the artists’. 

Looking into patreon subscription or even just viewing films on applications such as Vimeo or Youtube can also help independent filmmakers. The Sonoma International Film Festival is a great local option to discover and support indie artists and there is a vast array of different films to look into. For more information, visit sonomafilmfest.org.