Black Student Union weighs in on Black History Month

exc-621e6030042bbe2451c5fb00
exc-621e6030042bbe2451c5fb00

Black students celebrated their culture on campus and were able to freely embrace what it means to be Black. As Black History Month comes to an end, conversations took place about whether Black students felt represented on Sonoma State University’s campus this February. 

Every year Sonoma State faculty lines up numerous activities, speakers, and events for Black History Month in order to celebrate the Black community. Whether it be mixers, trivia nights, or guest appearances, students are excited to take part in the events happening on campus that encourage them to reflect and rejoice in what being Black means to each student.

Mendel Murray, a faculty member at SSU, advocates for Black students and was the reason so many events took place on campus. Murray said, “A lot of students don’t want to be here because there’s no community to get them involved, which is why I work so hard to provide what the university is lacking.” 

Not only is it important that Black students feel heard, but that the staff and faculty members are represented. Mendel said “Throughout Black History Month, I felt empowered more than anything, and I learned that it’s imperative to show how we can be proud.”

Outside of the events and activities, the community that the Black Student Union (BSU) created helps unite Black students on SSU’s campus all year round. However, having other people from outside the club and residents of Rohnert Park band together to celebrate all month long is truly the definition of embracing everyone’s difference and supporting them and all the history they shepard to other people’s lives. 

Sonoma State student, Residential Advisor, and BSU member Elijah Harris said, “We small but we loud,” when referring to the Black representation on campus. 

Amari Houston, SSU student athlete and member of the BSU, said,  “Celebrating my Blackness looks like being unapologetic and Black.” She said that “I didn’t want the ‘for a black girl’ behind every compliment, I just want to be me.” Not only is it essential to feel represented, it is essential for the students to feel like they have the freedom to speak their truth about what it means to be Black. 

Timothy Crawford, a first year, said, “This community has given me opportunities to learn about myself and make genuine connections.” 

It is only his first year on campus and he has been able to embrace the small, yet powerful band of brothers and sisters Sonoma State has through the BSU. 

Black students have had to overcome trials that other students will never know. They will never know the pain of being told they won’t make it by people they looked up to just because of their skin color, yet they continue to prove how they overcame it and how their Black History helps them persevere. 

A short play that took place during the closing ceremony was teaching the audience to take a different approach to racism. Rather than being in fear of the what ifs, Black people need to embrace who they are. 

Sonoma State as a whole needs to lift Black people up and support them in this call to action. Being able to have the freedom to be loud, sing, dance, and embrace their culture is not given on a pick and choose bais, it is for everyone.