New Asian-American “Sesame Street” character met with backlash

exc-621e625797a6d339c7686e6e
exc-621e625797a6d339c7686e6e

As the beloved children’s show “Sesame Street” welcomes their newest character, an Asian-American girl named Ji-Young, PBS is being met with heavy backlash from parents.

Matt Schlapp, president of the Conservative Political Action Committee, criticizes “Sesame Street” for introducing the new Korean-American muppet. In an email to NBC, Schlapp said, “’Sesame Street’ must go back to the days when a show was dedicated to a letter of the alphabet and not a trend.” Schlapp continues, “If National Public Radio and Public Broadcasting System want to support the socialist movement, they must fund themselves.” 

“Sesame Street” is known for being inclusive on all fronts. They make an effort to represent a variety of sexualities, disabilities, genders, and other diverse topics that children will encounter throughout their lives. In addition, they help build global awareness in young children and teach them to be kind to themselves and others, even when things are difficult. While most parents find exposing their children to this kind of television beneficial for their future, some families disagree and argue that children’s minds are too young to comprehend such complex subject matter.

For some, discussing gender equality, race, disability, and relationships can be quite challenging and uncomfortable. This lack of exposure results in a lack of understanding and knowledge when one encounters situations different from their own. Considering this, having a television show like “Sesame Street” that creates a safe and positive space for families to have these conversations is endlessly beneficial.

NBC News interviewed Alan Muraoka, a former ‘Sesame Street’ actor. He stated, “I believe it is very important for our children to understand these issues because they are real and are not going away anytime soon.” 

Muraoka makes a valid point—eventually, these issues will be addressed anyway when children grow up, attend school, and make friends. The topic won’t be awkward or uncomfortable if people are having the conversation and clearing things up while children are still young. Over time, this should create a more loving, welcoming, and inclusive society.

When asked to comment on the topic, an SSU student said, “I grew up watching ‘Sesame Street’, and I still do. The show positively encourages inclusivity, and it encourages kids to talk to their parents.” 

“Sesame Street” is an interactive and fun show for children and their families to enjoy and learn. It’s been successful for 52 seasons now, and adding a muppet with a whole different culture shouldn’t be such a controversial concept.