‘Love is Blind’ contestant stirs up trouble

exc-6227d6d63322d6586c568a3f
exc-6227d6d63322d6586c568a3f

One of Netflix’s reality dating shows, “Love is Blind”, runs on the idea that love is not solely based on looks. The show is run like a psychological experiment, and the goal is to have each contestant find love without knowing what their partner looks like until they propose. In the show’s newly released second season, one contestant, Abhishek “Shake” Chatterjee, entered the experiment knowing all he cared about was looks, causing quite the controversy. 

When Shake initially entered the pods, rooms with a wall down the middle meant for blind conversations between contestants, he asked every woman he encountered questions about their weight and activity level. How they answered would determine if he proceeded on with them. After a while he met a woman, Deepti Vempati, and embraced the process of falling in love with a person he had never seen. However as time went on outside of the pods, he couldn’t get over the fact that he was not overly attracted to her.

This show has gained a great deal of popularity since the first season, and students definitely have an opinion on Shake and how he portrayed himself throughout the most recent season. 

First year student Vivian Hughston said, “Shake completely missed the point of this series and I wish he felt more secure in himself because he projected his own insecurities about physical appearance on Deepti. That would have been the case with anyone he proposed to. His initial meeting with her gave me hope for the relationship, but he was not emotionally mature enough for a relationship that didn’t rely heavily on looks.”

As previously mentioned, Shake’s lack of emotional maturity is a main factor as to why his relationship with Deepti failed the experiment. It was evident throughout the show that the couples who fully submitted to the experiment came out with strong relationships in a short amount of time. The physical attraction was naturally there because they grew emotionally with their partners, which is where Shake went wrong. 

An anonymous SSU student said, “I have struggled with body image my whole life and that is exactly why I love this show. Many of the men and women on this show have dealt with similar obstacles, so that’s why when I heard Shake say things about his fianceé behind her back, my heart broke. The attraction comes when you love the person for who they are, and he did not fully love her. I wish he could have embraced Deepti for all that she is, because she is beautiful inside and out. I want someone that loves all of me and embraces the things I am insecure about, like my body.” 

Connections are extremely superficial today, and it is hard to get to know someone inside first when dating apps are so prevalent and rely solely on looks. Creating a strong foundation is what makes for a solid partnership that can withstand all the trials and tribulations life throws their way. Shake completely missed the ball on this experiment and in return he left without a wife. He needs to take what he learned throughout this process to actually form a meaningful relationship. 

Caitlin Faith, another freshman at SSU, stated that “I love this show and what it stands for. I think our generation is blinded by appearance and are too distracted to truly get deep with a partner and form a genuine relationship. I think Shake had good intentions and wanted to grow, however he became lost in what the world says your partner should be. The connection he formed couldn’t withstand normal life.”

Shake was the perfect example of how superficial people can be when dating in normal circumstances. In the end, the worldly pressure got to him and his insecurities ruined his relationship. This experiment can work, so long as the participants have the right mindset going in and coming out.