Online dating culture takes a dangerous turn

exc-6227d7780c36b03bfb4d8d2a
exc-6227d7780c36b03bfb4d8d2a

The idea that you can meet your soulmate with just the swipe of your finger makes dating apps very alluring. However, there are always risks when it comes to making online connections. With the mass popularity of the Netflix documentary “The Tinder Swindler”, there have been a lot of questions regarding the safety of applications like Tinder. 

According to the University of South Carolina, an estimated 60% of college students are using dating apps. 

The pandemic has made it extremely difficult to make connections in person, so many people have turned to dating apps to connect with people. With the popularity of hookup culture on college campuses, many students are only looking for superficial relationships on these applications, thus leading to the creation of dating app culture.

There are many things to be wary of when joining any dating app. First and foremost, private information is frequently stolen in exchanges through dating apps. 

In Sept. of 2019, Match.com was under major scrutiny when a lawsuit was filed claiming that they were promoting fake profiles to bring in more subscribers. It is very important to be aware of scammers and “The Tinder Swindler” discusses just how convincing these con artists can be. 

The documentary follows the newly-famous Tinder con man, known as Simon Leviev, and details how he managed to con numerous women out of an estimated $10 million. He created fake aliases on the well-known dating application, Tinder, to find his victims. Leviev ended up only serving five months in prison, instead of his original 15 month sentencing. 

Essentially, “The Tinder Swindler” opened up conversations about the dark side of dating apps. Users took to social media, sharing tips and tricks on staying safe, vigilant, and aware of the ever-evolving risks.

It is scary to think that some of the online dating profiles users interact with on a daily basis could be fake. When meeting up with someone from an online dating app, it is important to share your location with friends and family in case of emergencies. 

Another way to protect yourself from catfishing is by researching your date. Social media is super popular in this day and age so there are many ways to do some digging. It’s very easy to search someone’s name on instagram and twitter, this can prove if a profile is real or not. Many of these swindlers will use fake stock images and names in order to find their next victims. 

Something to consider when signing up for online dating is that virtually none of these applications require background checks. So anyone with a criminal record can sign up unbeknownst to the rest of the individuals also on these applications. 

Tinder has attempted to make its application more user friendly by creating a two step verification process. You simply upload a selfie for approval, matching poses with the examples given, and then the “facial recognition technology” decides if you get verified. Once the process is completed, a blue check mark appears on the profile. 

This seems like a step in the right direction but why is this verification process still optional? It seems that Tinder isn’t truly trying to ensure the safety of their users. They are really only protecting themselves by covering their bases. 

There are many pros and cons to online dating, and there will always be risks in meeting up with someone you met online. The recent uptick in dating app scandals in the media serve as a reminder to never let your guard down.