California drivers can switch to digital license plates

California is an area known for the boom of technology and high tech innovation, with advances ranging from Tesla to robots delivering your food or even making it. We are constantly making new advances in technology and adding on to that list are digital license plates, made exclusively by the California company Reviver. Governor Gavin Newsom has signed a law legalizing the use of these digital license plates, which drivers can now switch if wanted. 

Emma Lopez, a junior majoring in Kinesiology stated, “I like the physical one so I can see it when I buy parking passes and making sure my registration is up to date. I wouldn’t have to worry about people stealing the stickers so that would be nice. “ 

Many people are forgetful and it would be helpful to have a digital license plate that updates registration stickers automatically the moment it’s about to expire. There are mixed reviews for this, and many doubts come into mind when it comes to adopting this new invention. 

Carmen Salgado, a freshman majoring in Sociology stated, “I think the digital license plate is a good idea because hopefully it will reduce stealing because I know people sometimes steal stickers and the actual license plate as well. however, I feel like there is not a huge difference if you have one or not, I’m not too sure what the main purpose is. “ 

Knowing that it’s a tablet-like plate  won’t stop from stealing it and putting it on their own cars. 

According to Reviver, GPS can be enabled allowing you to track the vehicle and mileage. Police will be able to locate a vehicle more easily because there is a built-in tracker. In addition to GPS, it can flash a message if the vehicle is stolen or with an amber alert. 

Angela Hall, a junior majoring in Computer Science stated, “From what I’ve heard though I’m not really sure it’s worth it. I think my main concern with it is that if you make something digital, you’re possibly making it hackable. Especially if the plates can be used to track cars, it raises some possible privacy and safety concerns. “ 

Hall doesn’t think it’s worth it considering the installation itself is already $99, the battery powered version costs $19.95 per month while hard-wired for commercial vehicles starts at $24.95. She describes that she’s not totally opposed to the idea, but would have to research more about it to see what the benefits of having it are if it outweighs the concerns.  Hall stated,  “I feel like we could be examining other ways to improve systems that need work that don’t require a large scale hardware change for the consumer. I do question whether it is the best option for improvements right now. ” 

Especially because it’s technology, there are many privacy and safety fears. What happens when the digital license plate runs out of battery or gets wet? The main concern that arises is a possibility of being traced or hacked, and how are people supposed to find out they are being tracked by someone. 

Hopefully, Reviver tweaks things people feel uncertain about. Seeing as California is full of technology, and people are always wanting to personalize their belongings, there’s no doubt that people will change their plates.