BTS’s decision to honor draft sets precedent for exemptions

The popular Korean band Bangtan Boys, also known as BTS, have decided to honor the South Korean military draft, despite previous legislation, which allowed them to delay their required military service until age 30.

Under South Korean law, all able-bodied men between the ages of 18-28 are required to serve 18 months in the military. However, despite one of their members, Jin, being 29, he has yet to enlist in the military due to the previously mentioned legislation.

This legislation in question was passed in December of 2020, and allows K-pop stars to apply for temporary deferment from their military service if they have received government medals for domestic or global cultural contributions, such as the Order of Cultural Merit award BTS received in 2018.

According to Fortune, a study conducted by the Hyundai Research Institute in 2018 estimated that the group was responsible for bringing in 3.6 billion dollars USD to the South Korean economy. It is no wonder that the Korean government allowed them to delay their military service.

BTS is currently a seven person band consisting of Jin, Suga, J-Hope, RM, Jimin, V, and Jungkook. The band will continue to bring in millions of dollars in revenue during their military service, nevertheless, the South Korean government will certainly miss the billions of dollars towards their economy at their peak.

However this sets a precedent for military service amongst the rich and poor alike. In this age of an increasing class divide, it’s nice to see the rich being subjected to the same laws and regulations as everyone else.

Despite the fact that they are likely giving up billions of dollars, it’s certainly a breath of fresh air that the band decided to go through with their military service. This sets a precedent for future pop stars, rich people, and other celebrities alike in terms of required service, and avoids the hypocrisy that seemingly comes with stardom.

When asked about BTS’s military service this is what Sam Bisbee, a fourth-year statistics major had to say, “I guess if you have popularity,  it should be held off until it slows down, then they can go and serve. This is especially true if they’re bringing money into the economy.”

Interestingly enough, according to a survey conducted by the South Korean National Assembly Defense Committee, “34.3% of Korean citizens were opposed to exempting the band while 60.9% said they were in favor of it.”

Although this survey showed that many citizens wanted the band to stay together despite the required military service, it was the right move to not exempt the band from the conscription laws.

If they were exempt from mandatory military service, it could have created a precedent where being subjected to laws would be on the basis of popularity and celebrity status, a rather slippery slope when it comes to “requirements.”

It is respectable that the band decided to go forward with their service instead of asking for more legislation to further delay it.