‘Her Loss’ or your loss? New album sparks controversy

Within just a few hours of the release of Drake and 21 Savage’s joint album ‘Her Loss’, listeners raved over the subject matter within the songs. The Nov. 4 release included themes of name-dropping, subliminals at other artists, wealth, and a multitude of other mentions.  As a result, some were upset about some topics which seemed to outweigh the chatter about the overall quality of the album. 

The project had no trouble getting listeners. Jonathan Strachan, a communications major, reflected on his thoughts about the album,“I think it was the album of the year. Simply put,  I have zero skips.” He further went into detail about why he enjoyed the album based on the combination of incorporating old samples and new bars. 

On the other hand, in a Rolling Stone album review article, writer Mosi Reeves went into detail about the album. Reeves described it as “a misfire that Drake will hopefully learn from”

This is only one of many reviews from other notable celebrity news which describe the shortcomings of the project.

When it comes to this album,  Drake voiced his thoughts and opinions on several topics including the overturning of Roe v. Wade. He expressed his support for a woman’s right to choose. While this isn’t quite a controversy it ties into the contradictions within the other songs.  

An article from The Atlantic by Spencer Kornhaber suggests that the message behind some of the lyrics on the album holds some misogyny. Kornhaber states, “Throughout, in his typical manner, he fixates on the power women hold over him sexually—and the power he can hold over them financially.” 

Drake’s unconfirmed takes on other celebrities included female rapper Megan Thee Stallion, tennis player Serena Williams’ husband Alexis Ohanian, Kanye west, and others. 

But the one which gained the most attention came from the song, “Circo Loco” which lead others to think it was about Megan Thee Stallion. In reference, Drake stated,“This bitch lie ’bout gettin’ shots, but she still a stallion.”

Some listeners immediately implied he was talking about the female rapper, Megan Thee Stallion. This has been a trending topic and made others curious about an ongoing legal case about Megan Thee Stallion being shot by another artist, Tory Lanez. 

Others thought it was a lyrical double entendre about the culture of Brazilian butt lifts (BBL). Whichever one, it is still necessary to point out how counterproductive it is to condemn lawmakers for making choices on women’s bodies while ironically commenting on their choice to get a BBL. 

Strachan shared his reaction on the subliminals and namedrops, “I think the Megan one wasn’t necessary.” He continued, “I don’t believe he started the Serena Williams husband one though. I think it added to the album. Whether it was positive or negative, that’s on you.”

Drake isn’t the first person nor will he be the last to voice his opinion on women’s bodies, other celebrities, and his wealth. While this may be a part of the culture of rap, it leaves others to question the care for quality within the artists and maybe even the music industry. It shouldn’t always be about drama-filled topics or buzzwords that will get on blogs or news outlets. Nor should the culture solely be about women’s decisions or appearance. 

Others may call it marketing but if only the people and topics he mentioned outshine the whole body of work did it truly do the job? What should be talked about is the success and quality of the album. After all, it is a reflection of the artist’s artistry.