Students share how they power through finals week

As the semester slowly comes to a close, students are holding on for just a little while longer to study, finish any last few assignments, and complete final exams. Thanksgiving break gave Seawolves a little taste of relaxation, with no classes and time to spend with loved ones. Now it is the time to finish up the semester strong while maintaining healthy habits to get to the finish line.

Dennae Taylor, a communications major, shared what the transition from thanksgiving break to school was like, “I think the hardest part about shifting from Thanksgiving break is going from “rest” mode into “school” mode for only three weeks because I usually start to burn out at this point in the semester.” 

Taylor, of course, is not the only one who feels this way. Lily Freschi, a sophomore, expressed the same concerns. The swift change in routine was challenging. Freschi described her holiday as enjoyable with “a break of no worries.” 

The end of a course period can often feel like a marathon. Usually, during this time students find themselves feeling a bit overwhelmed.  Sometimes between school, work, or other responsibilities, it can seem as though there is no room to unwind. It is essential for students to remember to make sure they also prioritize themselves.

There are plenty of ways students can navigate through these final weeks. A student life blog by Meghan Jagnow gave 10 ways in which students can be less stressed during this time. Some mentions that seawolves should take into consideration include: “Stay in the moment,” “Get organized,”  “Be positive about yourself”, and “Reward yourself.”

Each one is a valuable tip to apply. Staying in the moment keeps you focused on one task at hand without worrying about the future. By getting organized one can be aware of their set schedule which allows for better control of their time and energy. One that many forget is being kind to yourself, especially during this time. And rewarding yourself for the progress made is a must. Some of the suggestions may not work for everyone but can be a startinag point for figuring out what works. 

Freschi gave insight into how she will power through the rest of the semester. She went into detail about prioritizing her mental health and listening to her body. Some solutions Freschi mentioned included: working out, relaxing, and hanging out with her roommates. The sophomore added, “We only have 3 weeks left but I’m trying to put in all my effort to finish strong.” 

For others like communications major Taylor Turner, the near end of the semester seems manageable. Turner described how she would approach the last demands of the semester, “I am going to take it step by step and get all the rest of my assignments done.” Turner further expressed what it will be like for her when wrapping up the semester, “The most satisfying feeling I’ll get is knowing I don’t have to worry about school anymore and having free time.” 

Almost everyone is looking forward to that moment when they take their last exam or turn in a final assignment. Before Seawolves get there though, it’ll take a little time. Take it one day at a time and the semester will be over soon.