Student loan forgiveness plan uncertain; Seawolves worried

If you’ve been taking more than two classes at Sonoma State, chances are you might have used financial aid such as FAFSA to help with the cost of tuition, books, or even housing on campus. In more severe circumstances, you might have even taken out a loan. 

According to Forbes, there are currently 43.5 million borrowers with the average student racking up to at least $37,000 in debt. To put it in another perspective, around 17% of the nation’s population is in debt. Last year, the Biden-Harris administration rolled out a plan to help ease those debts with a Student Loan Forgiveness Program. The plan includes loan forgiveness of up to $20,000. The plan is part of the final extension of the student repayment pause, which started when the pandemic hit, and it also aims to help low and middle income families. However, the plan has now been blocked by Republicans and as of Tuesday Feb. 28, there has been a court hearing to determine whether Biden overstepped his powers as president. 

And while students watch the Supreme Court hearing, it’s interesting to think about how the government would rather doom students to a lifetime of poverty than aid them. 

“If the Student Loan Forgiveness program panned out, all my debt would be erased in one go. That’s life changing stuff. And now they wanna take away hope from students on top of everything? It’s heartless,” said K. Reubens, a sixth year biology major. 

Other students such as third year business major Westfield G. said that although he doesn’t have any debt accumulated, he still feels bad about the students whose debt forgiveness is in limbo. “I feel bad because it’s scary how a group of people can determine their future. Even though I myself don’t have any debt, that doesn’t mean it’s the same for everyone in my life. I have family members and friends who either have debt, or are still trying to pay it off.” 

According to the Associated Press, 26 million people have already applied for student loan forgiveness with 16 million already approved. Although hearings began last Tuesday, a decision is not expected to be announced for a couple months; the earliest it would be announced would be until April, although the latest would be June. As hopeful as students have tried to be, the fact that the Supreme Court is dominated 6-3 by conservatives does not promise an outcome in our favor. Furthermore, the Biden-Harris Administration has not announced a plan ‘b’ in case the forgiveness program falls through.

Baby boomers and Republicans make up the majority of those staunchly against the idea of loan forgiveness, according to Politico. Those against the program will argue that Gen-Z and Millennials, the two groups most impacted by student loan debts, should “work harder” and “save more money.” Both arguments are futile considering that there are bills to be paid on top of paying for tuition, gas, and housing. The idea of saving money and having a little extra to ourselves sounds great, but in the end it’s easier said than done. 

In reality, the majority of people against the idea of loan forgiveness are the same ones who went to college on their parents’ dime. The argument that it is up to the student to take sole responsibility for their education is simply egregious and classist. The fact of the matter is that millions of students’ lives will be impacted, regardless of the outcome.