Sonoma Film Institute Presents: Chess of the Wind

The film “Chess of the Wind” by Mohammed Reza Aslani was shown at Warren Auditorium in Ives Hall 101 for the first time this semester on Friday, March 31. The film started at 7 p.m. and lasted for an hour and 33 minutes. The film was in Farsi with English subtitles. The storyline of the film consists of a murder mystery involving a cruel man Haji Amou, who is suspected of killing the main character, Aghdas’ mother. Aghdas and her maid proceed to kill Amou to later find out he might not be fully dead. The film was set in 1976 in a huge mansion that Haji Amou claimed as his since his wife who owned it supposedly died. The film is about a conflict between the stepfather Amou and stepdaughter Aghdas whose original father never shows up in the picture.

There were only three viewers of the movie, and they all arrived on time. Warren Auditorium is larger than the classrooms that these films have been shown at previously in the semester. The lights were dim and would flicker every once in a while but as soon as the film started the room became dark and quiet. No students showed up to the film, but a few students did have something to say before the night of the film.

When asked if he had ever heard of this film, Chris Orsi, sociology major in his fourth year at SSU, said that he had never heard of the film and that he could not attend due to a work conflict. Many people when asked could not go due to a work conflict or previous plans that they had made, but there was another showing of this film on Sunday, April 2 at 4 p.m.

Orsi said “I haven’t heard much about the Sonoma Film Institute. It’s not very advertised over the school.” He explained that he would go to see one of the films put on by the Film Institute if it was something that caught his eye or if he were to hear more advertising from them.

Michael Macias, a marketing major and first year at Sonoma State had not heard of the film before, or any of the others put on by the Film Institute. Macias is another student who could not attend due to a work conflict, as he works on weekend nights. “I would see a film put on by Sonoma’s Film Institute if the scheduling works out,” said Macias.

Alexia Acosta, recent alumni from Sonoma State, did intend on seeing the film, but couldn’t due to last-minute plans. “I’ve heard of this film many times and when my friend sent me the list of the films that were scheduled I really wanted to go see this one.” Although Acosta couldn’t make it to this showing she does intend on going to a film that’s put on in the future.

One of the important quotes from this movie was “Owning things adds to one’s distinction,” and this was something that was sought after by Haji Amou, the reason why there was such conflict.

The Sonoma Film Institute has so far shown three films and will be presenting five more until the end of the semester. The next film to be shown on Friday, April 7 at 7 p.m. is “They All Laughed” by Peter Bogdanovich. Admission is free but there is a $5 suggested donation.