Health Center Staff Spotlight: Dr. Margot Brown

exc-601a1b00fb3f036c0272b9cb
exc-601a1b00fb3f036c0272b9cb

dr margot brown.jpg

The Sonoma State University Student Health Center strives to provide high quality medical services in addition to promoting a healthy campus environment for students. Achieving this goal is mainly credited to the staff members who work in the health center day in and day out. One of these staff members is Dr. Margot Brown. 

Brown has been working at the health center for the past 4 years as a physician and she currently is performing as the clinical lead physician. 

Working with young people has been something that Dr. Brown has always loved. Therefore, when she saw there was a job opening at the Sonoma State Health Center, she applied immediately. In 2017, she received a position as a part time physician. She then began a full-time position last year. “I loved [being a physician] so much that I transitioned to working there [Student Health Center] full time in March of 2020.” Brown said

Brown started and continued her career in medicine because she found the medical field to be challenging yet exciting. “I went into medicine because it allows me to combine my love of science with my desire to build strong interpersonal relationships with others,” Brown said. “I learn something new everyday and am never bored!”

At the health center, Brown has direct patient care responsibilities, along with administrative duties. She spends most of her time seeing clients. “I provide urgent care, reproductive health care, health education and a number of other services to students,” Brown said. Also, since she is the clinical lead, she also spends her administrative time updating and generating the clinical protocols of the health center. She ensures that the medical care is evidence-based and up to date. 

She finds the ability to provide students with the support and information they need to make healthy choices is incredibly rewarding, and her favorite part about working at the health center is working directly with students. “It is a privilege to serve the Seawolf community,” Brown said. “I look forward to seeing more students in person once COVID is under better control; hopefully soon!” 

Brown carefully listens to her client’s health concerns and takes the time to decide on which route to take to accurately fulfill their needs. Because of this, her co-workers describe her as professional, as well as compassionate and trustworthy. “She is good at building trust with her patients and always maintains confidentiality,” said Lori Tyler, health center registered nurse, “Her patients often comment about how happy they are to have Dr. Brown for their doctor!”

Brown began her role as clinical lead in the height of COVID-19, therefore, she had to adapt all of the health center services to make them COVID-19 friendly, along with leading the rest of the staff in this extreme change. “Dr. Brown plays such an important role in helping the SHC adapt to new protocols relating to COVID-19 infection, safety concerns and COVID-19 patient care management,” said Carolyn Montgomery, health center coordinating nurse, “She always maintains a patient, kind and gentle demeanor with everyone and is great to work with.”

Brown is a versatile physician who is dedicated to her position and is willing to do everything within her power to help her patients and her co-workers. 

Brown’s efforts have majorly contributed to what makes SSU’s campus community safe and healthy. “We are lucky to have her as part of our patient care team at the student health center,” said Tracey Eaton, health center interim director, “She has taken on many added responsibilities in aiding our COVID-19 response and is always happy to do whatever she can to help our students.”