Stay active with dry land workouts

exc-601a1a2b35664c076c40798b
exc-601a1a2b35664c076c40798b

rec.jpg

As Sonoma State University resumes remote learning for Spring semester, a great way for students to engage in physical activity is participating in gym-level workouts in the comfort of their own homes. The Campus Recreation Center’s staff suggests that dry land workouts benefit students’ physical health in many ways.

Dry land workouts consist of primarily cardio exercises that improve balance, build core strength, and improve posture. These cardio workouts mainly include doing five to 10 reps of burpees, leg lifts, alternating jump lunges, plank progressions, and so much more.

Workout routines like these aim to stretch and engage the muscles on our bodies which are inherent towards students because they can prevent injuries. They also build strength to the core which is essentially where all movement in our bodies are connected to.

Finding ways to stay active during the pandemic may be difficult due to lack of space or equipment, but it should not prevent students from working out. Thankfully, dryland workouts do not require equipment, pools, or a gym membership. This is helpful because it allows individuals to strengthen their physical health from the comfort of their homes while also following health protocols and guidelines in California. 

Director of Campus Recreation Shelbi Long says, “With or without the pandemic, it’s important to move and stay active in the way that you enjoy doing so. Especially in the pandemic, it’s important to take care of your physical and mental wellbeing. Moving our body has so many benefits to us as a whole person and will help alleviate our stressors in life.”

According to The Wall Street Journal, since the beginning of the pandemic, about 76% of Americans say that they have tried physical fitness at home. Once considered a last resort, working out at home has an array of benefits for students, especially now that everyone is stuck at home. It factors out the time for commuting and you won’t have to worry about waiting for your turn to use equipment. This opens doors for students to find more time for their physical health.

“I think physical activity was a lot more important to me before the pandemic because I would go to school and be in the public eye more. Since the pandemic has started, I just stay at home,” said Carrie Li, a student and active member of the Sonoma State Cheerleading Team. “I find myself doing more at-home workouts, which support my physical health and wellbeing while following CDC guidelines.”

Dry land workouts provide holistic benefits and are accessible for almost everyone. Ryan Fitzpatrick, the lead recreation coordinator, says, “Dry land workouts are fun and are for all Seawolves, whether you are beginning or continuing, take it at your own pace!” 

Maintaining or adding dry land workouts to an exercise routine can build strength to the body’s core, which is not only essential towards physical health, but also towards students’ wellbeing. The Campus Recreation webpage states, “You can relieve stress. You can enjoy physical fitness. You can improve health by weight loss and control. And last but not least you can have fun and enjoy a variety of activities and services available to YOU!”

To gain more insight on dry land workouts be sure to check out the Campus Recreation Center’s website (campusrec.sonoma.edu) and Instagram page (@ssucampusrec) for more information about virtual events, resources, programs, and activities for this semester.