Health Center Staff Spotlight: Paula Coffaney

exc-602b76503864731411f1ddb1
exc-602b76503864731411f1ddb1

paulaa.jpg

When thinking about health care positions, nurses and physicians tend to come to mind. However, there are so many other roles that are more behind the scenes, but are equally as important to helping a healthcare facility succeed. One of these lesser known roles is the Clinical Laboratory Scientist, and the CLS at the Sonoma State University Student Health Center is Ms. Paula Coffaney.

Coffaney originally worked at a local hospital when she heard of an opening at Sonoma State University. She jumped at the chance for a different role as a clinical laboratory scientist. 

At the Student Health Center, Coffany is responsible for running the small clinical laboratory. She performs all of the testing that they are able to do in the lab in addition to quality control requirements to assure the tests are accurately done. Coffaney also does a regular procedure to check instrument maintenance and calibration. 

In the lab, Coffaney also has direct patient care duties. “I’m the main person a student will come to if they require a blood draw or a specimen collection,” Coffaney said. In addition to helping students, she also helps other staff members. “I also train and supervise other health center staff in testing that they are qualified to perform,” Coffaney said. 

Since the Student Health Center is licensed by the state and federal government, they need to follow all their regulations and are subject to periodic inspections. Coffaney makes sure that all of the guidelines are being followed in order to pass inspections. “I have been impressed by her continued attention to details that assures that our lab quality standards are met.” Dr. Timothy Kaczmar, Health Center physician, said.

Outside of work, Coffaney enjoys hiking and gardening. She also spends time trying out new recipes. She has also acquired a new quarantine activity, which is watercolor painting. A fun fact about her is that she owns a hobby vineyard with her family and they love making and bottling their own wine. She also has four children and she considers them to be her biggest accomplishment in life.

Being a mother had a big influence on Coffaney when choosing what career she wanted. In the beginning of her health care journey, she didn’t really know what she wanted to do. She went to college but didn’t have a specific career choice in mind, all she knew was that we wanted to work in the medical field in some way. However, after having her first child, Coffaney thought that being a clinical laboratory scientist would be the best fit. “I majored in biology and after my first child was born, I decided this would be a great option for a mom due to the flexible working hours,” Coffaney said.

At the Student Health Center, Coffaney enjoys meeting and talking with students and briefly learning about them. She finds helping students through blood draws particularly rewarding. “I like to put students at ease who are fearful of blood draws and am rewarded when I am finished when they say,that wasn’t that bad!” Coffaney said. 

When it comes to her favorite part about her job, Coffaney said it has got to be mentoring students who are pursuing a medical career. Students who work in the lab to gain experience work closely with Coffaney and she loves when they inform her when they achieve their goals after their time in the lab and at SSU.

Coffaney also enjoys collaborating with other staff members, and they love working with her as well. “It is a joy to work with her here at SHC.” Dr Timothy Kaczmar said. “She has a gentle touch with our students and assures the lab functions at its highest level.” Coffaney can always be counted on whenever any one of her co workers are in need of assistance. “My favorite thing about Paula is that she is always happy to help.” Dr. Margot Brown, Health Center physician, said, “I don’t know what we would do without her!”