CDC’s new smartphone app tracks vaccine side-effects

exc-60456eee9d778b1760f6e83d
exc-60456eee9d778b1760f6e83d

Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 2.56.28 PM.png

As more shots are administered to individuals across the nation, the CDC is able to maintain an updated list of vaccine side effects by utilizing a new smartphone tool that checks-in with vaccine recipients through text messages and web surveys. 

The smartphone tool, “V-safe”, is a voluntary program that is free of charge and digitally accessible to participants who received COVID-19 vaccines and have access to a smartphone. It aims to check-in on a regular basis with individuals who participate after receiving their first dose. 

The CDC is plugging this smartphone tool in organizations, hospitals, vaccine sites to actively inform vaccine patients after their appointment. Brochures, flyers, and digital marketing tools are used to encourage vaccine patients to participate. 

During the first week after receiving the first dose of the vaccine, personalized check-ins will be texted daily asking participants what kind of symptoms they are experiencing based on what kind of vaccine they received. Then, after the first week, check-in text messages are  sent once a week for up to five weeks. 

If a second dose of the vaccine is distributed to the participant, V-safe offers an additional program that checks-in with participants for up to six weeks. Followed by check-ins that are sent three, six, and 12 months after. 

This program allows the CDC to not only check in with their participants, but to also gather data for doctors and scientists. The information collected is beneficial as it helps to support future research studies and projects to understand medicine and its effects. According to the CDC’s website, “A collaboration between CDC and seven medical research centers to provide expert consultation on individual cases of adverse events after vaccination and conduct clinical research studies about vaccine safety.”

V-safe also values the privacy and protection of personal health information. The CDC’s website states, “V-safe uses existing information systems managed by CDC, FDA, and other federal agencies, the systems employ strict security measures appropriate for the data’s level of sensitivity.”

It also has the capability to send out reminders to participants so that they can remember to  schedule their second dose of the vaccine. According to the California Department of Public Health (CDPH), “V-safe can also give second dose reminders, and telephone follow up to anyone who reports serious adverse events.”

Although the app does not provide medical advice to participants, updates regarding COVID-19 and the vaccine are sent out regularly. If a participant experiences detrimental side effects, V-safe recommends that a health provider is contacted immediately and the incident should be reported to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS). 

The side effects vary based on the vaccine and differ with every individual. Jenna Zager, a third-year Psychology major at SSU, stated “After the first shot, I just had some arm soreness. The second shot gave me some lower back pain, but it only lasted 48 hours.”

Another student, Autumn Watters, a fourth-year communications and media studies major at SSU, shared a much different vaccine experience. Watters said, “The first dose I didn’t have any symptoms at all. The second one was pure hell. I had such a bad headache and my body was sore. Not to mention I had congestion and fatigue for a week after.”

County officials encourage participants to utilize the smartphone tool. Communications Specialist at the Sonoma County Administration’s Office, Matt Brown states, “In general, it is important to keep track of your symptoms after you have received the vaccine because it is a new vaccine and there is a lot we do not know about the side effects. The V-Safe app is a product of the CDC and is a good tool to communicate with the CDC if you have any symptoms.”

If you or someone you know would like to register with V-safe or to learn more about the program, visit the CDC’s website (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/vsafe.html%5C).