Spotlight of the Week: Rileystreet Art Supply

exc-6141427d63020c54ff439207
exc-6141427d63020c54ff439207

Rileystreet Art Supply is one of the most popular local spots for Sonoma State art students to buy their art course materials. The store supports SSU students and local artists by providing a variety of discounted art supplies, selling handmade artwork, and offering in person art classes.

According to Rileystreet’s website, their Santa Rosa location “has been voted the Best Art Supply Store in Sonoma County for the past 22 years.” The site states that the store “has always carried the widest selection of artist materials in the North Bay, many of which are discounted from retail everyday. We offer a fantastic art education schedule in both stores including free demos virtually every weekend. Plus all of our staff are practicing artists or have visual art degrees.”

Rileystreet offers a 10 percent discount to SSU students and holds an annual two month back to school sale in the fall where everything is 25 percent off. This year’s sale began during the second week of August and goes on until Sept. 30. Students need to show their SSU ID card and can bring in an art course syllabus for assistance on finding required supplies. 

Diana Argueta, a Rileystreet employee and former SSU alumni student, said SSU students visit the store frequently, “An SSU student comes into the store nearly every day, if not three times a week. Art students shop in between classes all year long and many of these students are enrolled in painting, drawing, and printing courses.” 

Argueta, who graduated as an art studio photography major, shared her experience with the store, “I started shopping here as a freshman since most teachers recommend this store. I shopped here a lot as a student and got lucky with landing this job after I graduated. I even helped my coworker get a job here and she was a former SSU art student too.” 

Rileystreet warehouse worker, Dave Lindgren, described that the staff enjoys assisting SSU art students. “We try to be as helpful as we can. We all really enjoy helping students that are just starting out in college level art courses,” said Lindgren.

According to fourth year art studio student Lexi Geren, “Rileystreet is the most suggested and recommended art store for SSU students to go to. I usually go at least once a semester and I like how fairly easy it is to find everything.”

Fourth year studio art minor, Jenna Zager, shared why Rileystreet is her favorite spot for art supplies. “I usually go for paints, panels, and paint brushes. I really like how wide their selection of supplies is, and I always feel comfortable going to Rileystreet for projects of different mediums. The pricing is also pretty good and there’s usually a sale on top of the student discount,” said Zager. 

Art teachers contact Rileystreet and use the shop as a place to promote and hold art classes for the public. The shop also supports local artists by advertising flyers inside the store that showcase different art galleries and art events. 

Rileystreet sells handmade pieces from local artists, such as postcards and facemasks. The store also accepts art donations from the public, and is decorated with the donated pieces.  

Rileystreet has one location in Santa Rosa and another location in San Rafael. Visit either of their locations to buy supplies or check out their website, rileystreet.com, for more information.