New show “Disjointed” sheds green light

exc-59adf01b6f4ca38d4794f097
exc-59adf01b6f4ca38d4794f097

Make sure you’re nice and cozy when you sit down to watch Netflix’s new original comedy series “Disjointed”. With legalization on the rise across the U.S., “Disjointed” supports the growing normalization of cannabis use in fun and informative ways. Co-created by Chuck Lorre, responsible “The Big Bang Theory” and producer David Javerbaum, former writer of the “Daily Show”, the 10-episode season released on Aug. 25th surprisingly feels a lot like a sitcom you would see on network television, but with a lot more freedom to use profanity and other language that can catch you off guard at first.

The series centers on Ruth Whitefeather Feldman, played by veteran actress and star of the show Kathy Bates. Feldman is the owner of the Southern California wellness center, “Ruth’s Alternative Caring” and runs it alongside her son Travis, played by Aaron Moten and other employees at the shop. Feldman is a former marijuana activist who fought hard for the legalization of the plant for many years, and has been in and out of jail as a consequence. As a result of this, Travis feels like his mother has not always been there for him and believes she loves the plant more than her own son. The two frequently clash heads over how to run the center, with Travis viewing it as good business opportunity to expand, and Ruth totally appalled by the idea of marijuana industrialization.

The main characters in the show go through personal issues and face emotional truths, which are brought forth and alleviated with the use of cannabis and the comfort of their peers. The center’s security guard Carter, played by Tone Bell, has recently returned from a military deployment and struggles coping with his PTSD. Although reluctant to try cannabis at first, he’s ready to take on the world again after his first use. Through his mind, the show depicts what it feels like to be under the influence through the use of mesmerizing psychedelic animations. Glimpses into different character’s thoughts and imaginations really capture what it feels like to drift off into your mind during just about any situation. The writers also address small truths and stigmatisms about cannabis in the dialogue between characters; while the actors do a wonderful job of portraying stoners, making you wonder if they are actually high.

Throughout most of the series, Ruth and her employees are rather elevated, influencing the amount of  jokes pertaining to the plant.  The humor can be really funny at times, but can also come off a little dry and somewhat difficult to understand for people who do not partake in the culture. Supporting characters like Dank, played by Chris Redd, and Dabby, played by Betsy Sodaro, fully play into the “pot makes you stupid” stereotype, in a ridiculous fashion that keeps your glossy eyes glued to the screen. While the show’s “Strain O’ the Day” segments put the spotlight on different strains that are available at Ruth’s dispensary, some very real and others laughably fake. On another note, there are a lot of racial stereotypes applied to the Asian-American character Jenny (Elizabeth Ho) more so than any other character

The producers really bring the traditional sitcom feel to Netflix, with the use of laugh tracks and amusing little commercials advertising different pot related products, the show mimic advertising breaks, as you would see on regular network television.