SSU Women’s Golf excels despite pandemic

exc-6088a5fa48956a16aeb33172
exc-6088a5fa48956a16aeb33172

golf.jpeg

Sonoma State Women’s Golf has taken every advantage of being able to play through COVID-19. In three out of the four matches they have been able to compete in, the ladies came in first place.

Sonoma State’s Golf program has been the first sport to be able to play at SSU since March 2020, and they put their hearts and souls into this season, despite all the restrictions.

After getting the “ok” to play last month, the women’s team had four matches set on their schedule. In the first match of the season the Seawolves came in a subpar fourth out of seventh place. With bounce back performances from freshman stand out Brenna Ozel and Senior Lexi Nelson, the Seawolves snagged three straight match victories.

Lexi Nielson, a fourth year at Sonoma State and fourth season team member, described how her team was battle tested to start the season but made a terrific jump:

“Our team as a whole has done a great job at committing to the process. All the returners have set high standards for the newcomers and all the newcomers have shown why they deserve to be here. Our team chemistry has helped us get through a rocky year and also pushed us to all our wins. We are continuing to finish strong. I am extremely proud of the team for all the work they put in and not burning out there the last few weeks when it means the most.” said Nielson.

In the last round of the Sonoma State Invitational at the Seawolves home course Foxtail in Rohnert Park on April 6th, Nielsen caught fire on the back nine holes shooting a 67 for the round and was (-5). This round broke a school record for lowest score posted by an individual on the women’s team.

With the recent success of winning three individual tournaments in a row, the women’s team now looks ahead to the postseason. The playoffs will start in a few weeks for the ladies, and in the meantime they are working hard to perfect their craft.

Sam Cabunag, a Junior in her second season with SSU, described how her and her team feel going into the playoffs:

“I am very excited to be able to get back into the swing of things. We have a chance to do something big and go to regionals, maybe even nationals. A huge contributing factor I believe for our success comes down to that we are a family. Our team is so supportive and trusting. We never give up and put 120% effort in whatever we do. I’m really excited for it and for our team’s success.”

COVID-19 has been a sting to many if not all sports for the last year.  But with golf’s style of game it has been much easier to work through the difficulties and change ups. The players must wear a mask at all times and one major new change has been teams play together during a match. In years past, one player from each school will play together to make up five to six groups. Now due to COVID, teams play the round with their fellow teammates. Most players feel more relaxed and feel more at ease when playing because they are playing with their friends/teammates.

Whatever the changes are, coach Verhunce has been ready for them. Prior to this year he has led the women’s team to five straight NCAA tournament appearances and the men to seven straight. Verhunce said, “We’re hoping for everything to come together and the committee  sees us as an at large bid. What an amazing spring and an amazing year by a bunch of amazing women.”