PCR testing declared the ‘gold standard’ of COVID testing

exc-61382c9d8b86a96369029a7b
exc-61382c9d8b86a96369029a7b

Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 2.33.28 PM.png

As the world continues to battle the COVID-19 pandemic, new ways of improving and streamlining the testing process are always emerging. The new preferred method of testing in most places is the Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test, and counties all over the country are deeming this the most effective way to screen for the virus.

PCR testing involves a nasal swab with the intention of collecting a mucus sample, which is then used to detect the presence of COVID-19. Given that it takes a day or two to get the results back, it’s seen as the most timely and accurate COVID-19 test. 

When asked about the preferred method of COVID testing for Sonoma State University students and staff, Tracy Eaton, interim director of the Student Health Center states that the PCR test is, “ The gold standard for COVID testing. Definitely our preferred testing method.” The other test that is offered on campus is the antigen COVID test. It is a rapid test, meaning that results can be expected within 15 to 30 minutes of the nasal swab. 

In a comparison to the antigen test, Eaton said, “The PCR is a more accurate test.” 

At times, the campus may use the antigen tests, but their ideal method is PCR due to its accuracy. 

An article published on the Sonoma County Health website states, “As part of this transition to private testing, the Department of Health Services will no longer be providing rapid antigen tests… Going forward, only PCR tests will be provided.” 

By only using PCR tests, health officials are preventing false positive and false negative results that may come with the antigen rapid tests. Sonoma County Health Officer Dr. Sundari Mase explains that the use of antigen tests proves to be more useful to those experiencing symptoms and for routine tests of high-risk groups. 

On campus, nasopharyngeal and nasal swab samples are collected in order to perform PCR tests. Eaton also points out that other companies may use saliva samples, but the two that are collected on campus are the nasal samples. 

When getting tested for COVID-19, the main concern is usually how long the results will take to come back. Eaton explains, “The results of the PCR tests that we use are taking anywhere from 24 occasionally up to 72 hours, but I would say generally from 24 to 48 hours is when we’re seeing the results. We’re not running them…we’re dependent on the labs we’re using.” 

Sonoma State is currently providing testing for students located at the Rec Center. These tests are provided by Avellino Labs. “The main purpose of that… is not for people who are feeling sick, but for those who want to get tested to make sure… and for people who are unvaccinated,” Eaton adds. 

Testing is also available in the Student Health Center. However, Eaton brings up that this is, “Focused on students who may be having symptoms. We currently utilize tests for the public health laboratory. So we get supplies from them and send it to their lab and they run it.” 

While PCR testing remains much more efficient and reliable, Eaton also addresses a potential con. According to patients, some have said there is a mild discomfort from the nasopharyngeal swab test. PCR testing is, “A very safe test, easy to access, and the turnaround times are relatively quick,” Eaton states, “They’re easy to do.” 

Now that students and faculty have returned to campus, it is imperative that the SSU community work together to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus. With the help of health officials, the support of PCR testing proves its ability to provide accurate and timely results, further supporting that this method is most effective in comparison to the rest.