Sonoma State welcomes new confidential advocate

exc-6140f30695e71f37e5ae4b1f
exc-6140f30695e71f37e5ae4b1f

syd.jpeg

One of the most prevalent crimes on college campuses across America is sexual assault. Over 24% of college females and almost 7% of males experience sexaul assault of some form during their time in college, according to Rainn.org (the worlds largest anti-sexual assault organization). Like many schools, Sonoma State University has a program that combats sexual assault and supports its victims, and they have just recently welcomed a new member to their team.

This year Sonoma State welcomes Sydney Casey as the new confidential sexual assault advocate. Casey received a bachelor’s degree of science in psychology and neuroscience from UC Santa Barbara and is currently working towards a master’s degree in social work CSU San Bernardino. She wanted to get into the field of confidential advocacy because of the large number of people she knew to be impacted by sexual or domestic assault while she was in college. Casey wanted to do something about this.

“In my new role, I really hope to increase student and staff engagement in awareness events and campaigns such as Domestic Violence Awareness Month coming up in October,” said Casey. “I hope to connect with student leaders to deliver more trainings and workshops on sexual violence and related topics to increase awareness on campus.” 

After graduating college, Casey began volunteering for the Verity crisis hotline. Verity is a large company focused on eliminating all forms of violence, especially sexual and domestic violence. After about a year of working on the hotline, she joined the Verity team as an advocate. It is clear to see that Casey is passionate about putting an end to gender-based violence, especially on college campuses. 

When asked what a typical day looks like as a confidential advocate, Casey stated that there really is no such thing as a typical day, everyday is different. However, most days are spent either supporting sexual assault survivors one on one or giving presentations on campus to raise awareness. 

One on one support involves the confidentiality office working to get survivors all the resources they need to be successful. This includes providing confidential, non judgemental decision making support, counseling referrals, academic and housing assistance, accompaniment to medical or legal appointments, and support throughout the entire process or reporting if the survivor chooses to do so.

Outside of work and school, Casey really enjoys the outdoors. She is passionate about hiking, backpacking, and rock climbing. Casey even mentioned that she saw the rock wall in the campus recreation center and would love to give it a try.

“My top self care tip is to get outside and let nature decrease those stress levels,” said Casey in a comment on the @advocacyatssu instagram page. 

With sexual and domestic violence being more relevant on college campuses than anywhere else, it is extremely important to have passionate people working in the field on these campuses. For any Sonoma State student who finds themselves needing confidential support, Sydney Casey is available to help with whatever is needed. For support, do not hesitate to contact her or any part of the confidential advocacy office.

Right now, due to COVID protocols, Casey is only available via zoom, email, phone calls. She can be reached through email or phone, both of which can be found on the SSU confidential advocacy website. Casey also mentioned that for support during the evenings and weekends she recommends calling Verity’s crisis hotline at (707)-545-7273.