Table tennis tournaments return at the Rec Center

exc-614a61d527e4fc5da62c83d0
exc-614a61d527e4fc5da62c83d0

daniel.png

The Recreation Center has returned this semester, and with it comes the return of the Intramural Table Tennis tournament running from September 12-30, with the finals set for October 1st from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.  

The Intramural Table Tennis tournament is not your run-of-the-mill tournament; with the Pandemic continuing, the tournament is more flexible than ever. “During Open Play, players challenge each other to matches anytime the Rec is open. Once they sign up, their name and contact information are added to a spreadsheet that records their wins and losses. From the score sheet, they can email each other to find a time to play. Finals are on 10/1 from 3-5 p.m.; finals are set up as a single bracket elimination tournament. Anybody can record up to 5 games per week for a total of 15 games leading into finals,” said Reed Mathieson, Outdoor Recreation Coordinator for the Recreation Center.  

Students who play in the tournament will need to complete their daily wellness check and show their green badge as you would anywhere else on campus, and wear a mask at all times.  

According to Mathieson, the Rec Center staff cleans all rental paddles and ping pong balls after use. These cleaning measures go for all rental items at the Rec Center, including basketballs or pool cues. 

The tournament winner will receive their choice of a retro Intramural t-shirt from previous years. Although there is one winner, if you want to play with a partner, you are welcome to, but the scores need to be entered individually, according to Mathieson, “The Table Tennis Tournament is played individually. Folks can play in doubles if they wish to, but their scores are recorded individually, not as a team.”

Tournaments such as these bring a sense of normalcy that had been missing since before COVID. “I think the Rec is starting to go back to the way it was before COVID.  I have seen more people coming in to play table tennis than I have seen in a while.  It is exciting to see so many people in the Rec again,”said Recreation Center employee Kristen Moore.  

According to Moore, since intramural tournaments have returned, there has been a large uptick in students coming into the Rec and playing in the tournaments. “I would say we have about 50 more people than normal come in for table tennis tournaments,” explained Moore. 

Although there have only been a few matches in the tournament so far, the format seems to be working well, and students are happy to compete in intramurals again. “I have seen a few of my matches on my shift at the rec, and everyone who plays (in the tournament) seems to be having fun and excited to play,” said Moore.

In the Rec center, there are two tables, so competitors  won’t have to worry about having to wait long to play if they’re both full.  The format, where you coordinate with who you are going to play with, allows for you to play at your earliest convenience. 

The Intramural Table Tennis tournament is a great way to get out on campus, meet new people, and have fun competing.  With the finals approaching on October 1, make sure to get into the Rec and get your matches in for a chance to win a retro T-Shirt.

If Seawoves have ever wanted a chance to compete and play against other Sonoma State students, this tournament is your chance.  To sign up to play in the tournament, go to the Rec Center. Then, just come during normal Rec Center hours and play whenever you have time, as all the matches count towards the tournament.